Which Caliber?

I have a Winchester M70 Lightweight Carbine I purchased when I was 18, that was 24yrs ago. I am looking to re-barrel this rifle, I was thinking about sending it to Hart Barrels and have them put a new barrel on it. That had me thinking about changing caliber as well, with the M70 receiver, what would you guys recommend? I had thought about a 6.5-284, what would work for that receiver? I reload my own ammo, but I don't want to make my own brass, I would like to stay with something that is readily available on the market. I do not have a 30 caliber in my arsenal and do not have a 6.5 in my arsenal. Any thoughts out there that I could use with the receiver?

Thanks.

I think you have just the right rifle for a 6.5x57mm make it a classic.

We put together two .270 Shermans. They were super easy to make brass, neck up to 30 cal, and then run through a standard non bushing 7mm rem mag die without the expander ball, it sets the false shoulder perfectly and being that it's a standard die without the expander ball, set the inside neck diameter almost perfect at .270", so after running through a 30-06 expander ball, then a 7mm rem mag die without an expander ball, charge and seat bullets.

170 EOL from 2950-3050 depending on barrel, components, etc. View attachment 151176

I really like to see photos such as this one. I find it helpful and very useful making my own brass. I have a .270 Ackley Improved that I make brass for, I'm still waiting for the hydroform dies. Currently I am fireforming the brass, then neck sizing with a .270 WSM sizing die. Thanks for posting

Last edited:
I would seriously consider the 6.5-06AI. Super easy to trim and neck down 270 brass or just buy 25-06 brass and resize
and go. About 10 years ago I rebarreled and chambered a Sako 30-06 deluxe that I brought back from Germany during my Army years. It's is inherently accurate, low recoil, and super versatile. I've used it for anything from Antelope to Elk. It's probably the most useful rifle I have in my safe, and the one I like reloading for the most. The only downside is no factory ammo, but I rarely use factory even on my common calibers. Cheers!

I would seriously consider the 6.5-06AI. Super easy to trim and neck down 270 brass or just buy 25-06 brass and resize
and go. About 10 years ago I rebarreled and chambered a Sako 30-06 deluxe that I brought back from Germany during my Army years. It's is inherently accurate, low recoil, and super versatile. I've used it for anything from Antelope to Elk. It's probably the most useful rifle I have in my safe, and the one I like reloading for the most. The only downside is no factory ammo, but I rarely use factory even on my common calibers. Cheers!
I agree with you on the 6.5 A.I. being a great round. I killed over 20 bull elk with one and countless other critters; including deer, bear and moose. It was my inspiration for building the first 6.5 Sherman. The only reason for not building the A. I. (IMO) is because of the 6.5 Sherman which is basically an A. I. on steroids. All you need is 270 or 280 brass. You can also use 280 A. I. brass.
Having shot both for years I can guarantee the Sherman is a significant boost in performance!. Why leave performance on the table?
Just sayin':D

I agree with you on the 6.5 A.I. being a great round. I killed over 20 bull elk with one and countless other critters; including deer, bear and moose. It was my inspiration for building the first 6.5 Sherman. The only reason for not building the A. I. (IMO) is because of the 6.5 Sherman which is basically an A. I. on steroids. All you need is 270 or 280 brass. You can also use 280 A. I. brass.
Having shot both for years I can guarantee the Sherman is a significant boost in performance!. Why leave performance on the table?
Just sayin':D

Now that you mention it - +1 for the Sherman. I completely spaced it, but it's what I'm going to rechamber mine in once I shoot out the barrel.

Unless you're hunting at a zoo, the 6.5x284 is overkill for any animal that lives in North America. The only reason to go with something bigger is if you prefer more recoil.

If it is a pre-64 I would leave it a lone because they are worth a lot more in original condition, with that said I have put barrels on a lot of pre-64 and modern model 70's. You can rebarrel to a lot of different cases. 6.5x284 is a great round I have one and love it. You don't have to stick with only long action cases I have done as small as a 22br 6br on that action and it works great, so just think about what you want to use it for and build around that. In my opinion the 6.5x284 is a good all around cartridge I use Lupua brass and 1/8 or 1/9 twist depending on what the customer wants. I have shoot mine out to 2080 yards during a URSA match and I also hunt with it and it's a great hunting round. And you have lots of bullet options along with powder options to choose from.

No pre-64, built in 1985.

Based on your intended use, I'd select the 6.5 Creedmore. It will have much longer barrel life than most of the other suggestions like the 6.5-284 being recommended. The Creedmore has low recoil and is super accurate making it more enjoyable for plinking. It is great for long range 1200 yard whitetails, hogs, and plinking. I only shoot hogs in the head so I don't worry about boars with thick shoulder shields and trailing a dangerous wounded hog through thick brush. It is also easy to work up accurate reloads and uses less powder making it more economical. It's a very forgiving round for exactly what you are planning. As you stated, you don't need an elk gun because you have one.
I had been thinking about buying a 6.5 Creedmoor, however can you use a long action on a Creedmoor?

I had Hart re-barrel my Featherweight to just a slightly larger profile that only required a little sanding in the stock barrel channel. I'd stick with the classic 270 Win caliber that you currently have, there is no magic nor mysterious powers associated with the 6.5s, just a hell of a lot of advertising and media hoopla. If your serious about long range shooting then I'd suggest a different action/barrel combo. There are a ton of experts here that will overwhelm you with recommendations.

I have a Winchester M70 Lightweight Carbine I purchased when I was 18, that was 24yrs ago. I am looking to re-barrel this rifle, I was thinking about sending it to Hart Barrels and have them put a new barrel on it. That had me thinking about changing caliber as well, with the M70 receiver, what would you guys recommend? I had thought about a 6.5-284, what would work for that receiver? I reload my own ammo, but I don't want to make my own brass, I would like to stay with something that is readily available on the market. I do not have a 30 caliber in my arsenal and do not have a 6.5 in my arsenal. Any thoughts out there that I could use with the receiver?

Thanks.
If I had a rifle just like that I would go 280 or 280AI. Probably 280 as I already have the reload dies.

I'd go the 7-08 with what ya got. That longer action you could use some heavy weights and not cut into your case capacity. Unless for some reason that I'm unaware of that it wouldn't work.
But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the 6.5-284 either though . Just mark a poker chip with what calibers you're debating over and have someone flip it for ya

The 6.5-284 is a wonderful cartridge. I had an action that I wanted to put to use and opted for the 6.5-284, the best decision I ever made. The cartridge has plenty of power and reach and mine is incredibly accurate. It's the perfect deer rifle, great ballistics and little if any recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.