Which 6.5 Caliber

Switchback2

Fixing to start another build and wanted to see if any of you guys could change my mind before I start sending parts off. Action will be at my FFL first of the week and already have a Brand New Bartlein 1-8 twist 5R sitting in reloading shop.

I am building another 6.5,
I have been leaning real Hard tolds the 6.5 Addiction as it has Lupua brass, Cheaper brass then my Creedmoor , Pushes the 140s in the 3100 area, Can be shot out of a SA. And its something no one around me has LOL

But I am open to other ideas and reasoning behind them?

Thanks

I'm assuming you meant which 6.5 cartridge ?? There's only one caliber .264 for 6.5 that I'm aware of. I'm sure tons of people will say either there Creeore, 26 Nosler, /284 etc...myself not wanting to drive myself to insanity looking for brass now and especially in the future I'd go with the ho-hum LD .260 Remington, isn't the most accurate, not the fastest BUT I can always fine brass, even if I gotta go .308 or .243, when those two are in short supply our hobby will be on life support !!

I don't think a 6.5x55 Improved is a good choice for a short action. I think it needs an action the length of a Defiance XM.

I don't think a 6.5x55 Improved is a good choice for a short action. I think it needs an action the length of a Defiance XM.

+1.
For a short action I would look at the creedmoor. Or if you want more speed then look at the Sherman short mag, Sherman short tactical, or some of the other short mag variants.

Lots of choices out there. But if you want to drive a 140 at 3100 fps the choices become less. Especially in a short action. The Sherman SS would be a good choice. If you are not needing top end speeds go with a 260, Creed, or 6.5X47. I went with the 6.5 X47 and it is a great little round.

I didn't put the 260, or 260ai in my initial response because I believe they truly belong in a long action when working with the longer 6.5 projectiles.

The 6.5 Addiction will feed Great out of a SA as that is what Kevin Designed it for and I have a buddy Ryan Castle with Core Shooting that has been shooting it awhile now out of a SA.

I looked at the 6.5 Saum/Gap but between brass prices costing $60 more a 100 and it being Hornady brass that's out.

The Addiction is not quite a 6.5x55 AI as that has a 40 degree shoulder and the Addiction has a 37 which kevin and Ryan both say feeds better out of a Mag. They running the Accruate Mags with front plate out to get longer COAL,, I was going to build it on a LA as Kevin has 2 reamers one that will put me in the 3.100 COAL range and get another 100 fps , but I am building this one a Switch Lug system and I will get more use out of a SA for that.,

Thanks guys

Of course it will feed out of a short action if you seat the bullet deep enough to make it fit. That doesn't keep it from being a poor choice. Depending on the bullet you use, you may have the front of the bearing surface seated below the case mouth.

Of course it will feed out of a short action if you seat the bullet deep enough to make it fit. That doesn't keep it from being a poor choice. Depending on the bullet you use, you may have the front of the bearing surface seated below the case mouth.

Now please explain to me how a chambering that has Lupua Brass, Pushes a 140 at 3050 -3200 fps and Feeds out of a SA ,, without any of those issues you Tought it had is not a good thing??
Yes I came here asking about other caliber's but for some reason you have it made up in your mind the Addiction isn't going to work and it has and will keep on..
260 -260AI -6.5 x55 ready to form and 6.5 Addiction all with 140
Berger Hybrids

Now please explain to me how a chambering that has Lupua Brass, Pushes a 140 at 3050 -3200 fps and Feeds out of a SA ,, without any of those issues you Tought it had is not a good thing??
Yes I came here asking about other caliber's but for some reason you have it made up in your mind the Addiction isn't going to work and it has and will keep on..
260 -260AI -6.5 x55 ready to form and 6.5 Addiction all with 140
Berger Hybrids

I didn't say it wouldn't work. I said it was a poor choice for a short action. If you seat that bullet the way it should be seated, Your COAL is going to be about 3.050".

You can get the performance you want in a .260 AI

I'm shooting a 140 Berger at 3090 out of my 29" barreled .260 AI, using 49.1 grains of RL-26 in lapua brass and a cci br-2 primer. My max was 51 grains going g 3170, but would be a little hard on brass, the load im at now is middle of the road, and still performing awesomely. They are seated .005" off and OAL is about 2.895", bullet dependant of course.

My father shoots a 6.5x55, and while you absolutely can make it work in a short action if you use an extended box or AICS type mag, having to seat the long 140 bullets that far in the case is taking away alot of the powder capacity you gain with the longer and slightly fatter 6.5x55 father cartridge, offsetting some of the gain.

But...it can still work if your set on it. The Sherman shortmag are unique if that is what your into, as well as very efficient, and will push 140's over 3300 fps if you want. You just need a mag bolt face.

But just throwing it out there...3100 is possible with a .260 AI with a little bit longer barrel. It may be possible with a 26", but I don't know. When I had my brake installed, I didn't loose/gain any velocity from cutting off 1" of barrel (30"-29")

And also, my brass has 11 fireings and I have trimmed twice and after this last firing have just started loosing a few brass to loose primer pockets, probably the high end loads while doing load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.