Which 6.5 caliber to go with?

+1 Benchracer

If you go long action go 264wm,,short action do a 260.If you throttle the 264 back to 6.5x284 performance levels you MIGHT eek out a little more barrell life but it wont be much.The 6.5x284 in the brass dept wins since you can get Lapua but the Norma brass in 264 aint no slouch either.

Not benchrest quality but you get thw idea :)

My .264WM grouped like this during seating depth tests with 140g Nosler Partitions and the Sierra accuracy load of 57g of RL-22. It opened up a bit with my final load using Retumbo, but it's still shooting sub .5" @ 100 yards.

Really don't think you would go wrong with the 264 WM.
It will handle up to Elk sized game at pretty long distances.If you want a little less recoil ...
I have a 260 AI I really like as well.

My .264WM grouped like this during seating depth tests with 140g Nosler Partitions and the Sierra accuracy load of 57g of RL-22. It opened up a bit with my final load using Retumbo, but it's still shooting sub .5" @ 100 yards.

Nice group. What velocity are you getting with that load?
Thanks.

If i ever get off my assets i got all the parts to put together a 6.5 Rem. Mag. Just to darn to much to do.

264 WM all the way....I have 3 rifles in this caliber and they are all shooters...my results from yesterdays chronograph/sight in session are as follows....Winchester bras, neck sized and turned, 130 nosler accubond loaded at 3.265 coal with 66.5 gr retumbo powered with a fed match mag primer going at a nice avg velocity of 3373 out of a FACTORY remmy 700 cdl rifle....people love the 6.5-284 but imo, when you compare them because the 264 is far superior

Hopefully I didn't miss it. Does the OP reload?

I'd have to say 264WM here since we are discussing this on a hunting forum. Like Grey, I'm also a certified 6.5 "nut". For the hunting fields, I love my 6.5WSM; for the range, my 6.5 Creed gets the nod (well, at least when I take a 6.5 with me:rolleyes:).

If you reload, i'm not sure if there is a wrong answer. Performance wise, the Grendel kicks is off in dead last. The 260, 6.5 Creed & 6.5x47 are nearly identical. Then comes the 6.5x 284 with another 200fps; the 264WM & 6.5WSM adding another 200-300fps over that & STW rounding it out with another 150-300fps on that.

You have a velocity window of 2600-3400+ depending on which cartridge you choose. Not a bad time to look into the 6.5's.

t

Nice group. What velocity are you getting with that load?
Thanks.

For clarification, the pictured group was posted by Beluebow, not me. As I stated in my comment, though, that group looks remarkably similar to one I fired while doing my seating depth tests. The Sierra accuracy load that I used for that testing wasn't a fast load. If memory serves, the Sierra manual lists it at around 2700fps (I don't chrono my loads when testing seating depth).

I don't remember exactly where my final load with Retumbo came in at (and I don't have access to my notes at the moment). I want to say it was 63ish grains. I will have to get back to you in the fall when I am home and can get to my notes.

I have a 260, a 6.5-06, and a 264 wm. My favorite is the 6.5-06. They all shoot very well. However, the 6.5-06 is the most accurate: .5 moa groups are common. It has also turned in a surprising number of .25 moa groups. With H4831 and 140 Berger VLD's I am getting velocities around 2950 fps. That is with a 26 inch McGowan barrel. My 264 WM has a 27" Krieger. Using a max published load of RL22 it shoots the same speed. I found some old data for IMR7828 that puts the 264 in the 3150 fps range. However, accuracy suffers and pressure signs are apparent. The 260 is great and easy to reload for, but it gives up about 200 fps to the other two.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.