Which barrel manufacturer to go with?

I have a couple Pac-Nor barrels, a couple Shilen barrels and a Muellerworks barrel. All shoot really well. Like mentioned above, your choice of gunsmith means more than the name on the barrel. For what it's worth, Pac-Nor are my favorite. I've had them rebarrel 2 rifles for me (a.223AI and a 28 Nosler) both will shoot sub .5" at 100yds.

I have a rem 700 long action that I'm going to be buying a barrel for here soon. Thinking I'm going to go with a 257 wby, 1-7 or 1-8 twist, 26". Going to be a whitetail/muley/antelope gun. Who's the best barrel manufacturer to go with? Thinking about going with one of the pre threaded and chambered Shilen barrels. Any other suggestions?

Using only my experience, I have Hart my first choice and I have Douglas my second choice. My Douglas 28" 7mm-300 Weatherby on an Interarms Mark X action has been on the gun for 41 years and is still shooting sub moa easily. Maybe 6-800 rounds through it. My Rem 700 Hart 30" competition 6.5-284 has 900+ I think and still shoots well also. I'd have to look at my log book for that one to get an exact shot count. Both of those makers will make you happy. I have a Douglas 17 Rem on a Savage axis action that shoots extremely well also.

I'm going to borrow from Will Rogers' stock market advice. "Buy an accurate barrel. Take it to a good Smith and have it installed. Work up some accurate loads using very good components. If it isn't accurate, don't buy it." ;)

I have a rem 700 long action that I'm going to be buying a barrel for here soon. Thinking I'm going to go with a 257 wby, 1-7 or 1-8 twist, 26". Going to be a whitetail/muley/antelope gun. Who's the best barrel manufacturer to go with? Thinking about going with one of the pre threaded and chambered Shilen barrels. Any other suggestions?
Brux barrels, you don't have to wait 5 months to get one,cut rifle ....

I have a 257 Wby (10 twist before the heavy bullets came out) with a Krieger barrel and that gun shoots factory Weatherby 115 ballistic tips in the .2s and has for the last 7 years. I do load 115 Bergers for it but I've not been able to improve on the accuracy over the factory offering.
When I do burn this one out I'll probably spin up another Krieger in 7 or 7.5 twist.

Lets see, I have rifles with Douglas, Lilja, Shilen, Kreiger, Rock and Brux barrels and all shoot equally as well as the next. In other words, take your pick of barrels and have a competent smith chamber and screw it on your action. The best barrel in the world will not shoot if it is not properly installed and chambered.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.