Time for rebarrel which 6.5 to go with

hhack

I have two rifles that will be needing new tubes here shortly and since it is too cold to go out I thought I would start researching. One of the actions will be a 6mm AI but I would like to go with a 6.5 with the other. One action is a long action and the other is a medium. So either one could go 6mm AI or I could barrel the appropriate 6.5 for the action length.

I am looking at a 6.5-06 or 6.5x55 for the long action or 260 rem, 6.5 creed, or 6.5x47L for the medium action. I am looking to build a heavier barreled rig that is fun to shoot, that can also hunt if needed. I already have 6.5x284 that is set up for pack hunting and I don't want to have to modify the feed rails or bolt face.

Right now I am really leaning toward the 6.5-06 or 6.5x55SE as I think they would work well in my lone action. What do you guys think?

If you want a 6.5-06, and you are an experiences reloader, go with a 6.5 Sherman. More velocity than a 6.5-06 AI, and similar barrel life. You use .270 Win or .280 Rem brass to form for it, since they are longer than standard .25-06 brass.

Whidden has a ultra micrometer die set for the 6.5 Creedmoor and Forster is releasing a set for it at SHOT this year.

Lapua also has the 6.5 Creedmoor on the table for development, no word on if in 2015 this will be done.

Lapua has repeatedly told me they're not developing 6.5 Creedmoor at this time. I sure hope they're lying to me because I'd never be without another Creedmoor if Lapua brass was available.

The mid range 6.5s (Lapua, 260, and the Creedmoor) are my favorites. However the fast 6.5s are a whole new level of performance and will put a big old smile on your face.

They are not making any of it at this time. But it is on the table, and they by far have not pushed it to a secondary discussion.

I have two rifles that will be needing new tubes here shortly and since it is too cold to go out I thought I would start researching. One of the actions will be a 6mm AI but I would like to go with a 6.5 with the other. One action is a long action and the other is a medium. So either one could go 6mm AI or I could barrel the appropriate 6.5 for the action length.

I am looking at a 6.5-06 or 6.5x55 for the long action or 260 rem, 6.5 creed, or 6.5x47L for the medium action. I am looking to build a heavier barreled rig that is fun to shoot, that can also hunt if needed. I already have 6.5x284 that is set up for pack hunting and I don't want to have to modify the feed rails or bolt face.

Right now I am really leaning toward the 6.5-06 or 6.5x55SE as I think they would work well in my lone action. What do you guys think?

I have two 6.5's that will fill the bill. The long version 6.5 Sherman will outperform any 6.5 with an 'o6 head size, has good barrel life and is easy to form. I have the reamer and Whidden custom dies in stock so you can be shooting as fast as your smith can put it together. You can reach 3100' with 160's in a 26" barrel and 3200 with 150's
The short mag version 6.5 SS (based on the SAUM case) will cycle the long bullets through a short action (no need to single feed). There is no loss in performance over the SAUM and it has a better neck and less case stretching. It has a couple of extra steps in forming the cases but is not that difficult. A day of case forming will yield nearly a barrel life with the Norma brass. The dies and reamers are also in stock for the SS. PM me if you want more details...........Rich

+ 1 on the 6.5 Sherman, I was considering a 6.5-06 and discovered the 6.5 Sherman. I have had mine for about 6 months. it was my first wildcat, but fire forming is easy.

I guess I'd go for the 6.5x47L. Not much recoil, great potential accuracy, Lapua brass, small primer for a strong case and many reloads, good velocity with not a lot of powder. That sounds pretty fun. Should be able to use it to hunt as well.

I'd also do a 6.5x47L for the short one. I have two of them now & love them, it's such a sweet round to load for. It also takes all the pain out of making the long 6.5 bullets fit through a short action magazine, no matter what bullet you use it'll still fit.

Some Forster dies, a good 8 twist barrel, a bunch of H4350 & you're set!

The Sherman sounds interesting but I am not sure I want to have to fire form cases for it. What kind of barrel life are you guys getting out of your 6.5 shermans?

The reason I was looking at the 6.5-06 is because I have a ton of 30-06 brass lying around. I would be more interested in the creedmore if lapua starts making brass for it, I am also interested in the 6.5x47L for recoil reasons. I would like something that is mild on recoil and muzzle blast.

Thanks for the replies.

I just had a -47 lapua built and killed a coues at 711 yards. We messed w/several dif powders for the 140 bergers and got RL17 to kick'em out at 2900+f/s... Bad A round! Im having my buddy build another for my other son & 3 other guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.