Which Caliber?

I have a Winchester M70 Lightweight Carbine I purchased when I was 18, that was 24yrs ago. I am looking to re-barrel this rifle, I was thinking about sending it to Hart Barrels and have them put a new barrel on it. That had me thinking about changing caliber as well, with the M70 receiver, what would you guys recommend? I had thought about a 6.5-284, what would work for that receiver? I reload my own ammo, but I don't want to make my own brass, I would like to stay with something that is readily available on the market. I do not have a 30 caliber in my arsenal and do not have a 6.5 in my arsenal. Any thoughts out there that I could use with the receiver?

Thanks.
I like the 6.5/284. I use the 140 Berger VLD in mine. Accurate, light recoil, easy to load, shoots flat and the terminal performance is great.

Seeing in your profile your from Texas, a 6.5x284 with a 7 or 7.5 twist to shoot the 156 Berger would be my choice. A 156 @2950-3000 fps would definitely take down anything Texas has to offer, and with exceptional ballistics. If you travel to hunt, it would be sufficient for elk as well, that is essentially 30-06 performance, I killed quite a few elk with a 30-06 and 150's or 165's, the 156 would be similar energy but with better sectional density and much better bc and energy at farther ranges compared to the 30-06 in the same weight.

Now, if your primarily wanting a rifle for larger game, I would look at the 30 cal, the only speed bump is the bolt face. Unless you go with something like the 300 Sherman (a necked up and improved by fireforming 270, you do already have brass.....) it would be better suited to go with a magnum bolt face 30 cal, such as a 300 win mag, which is doable, but then mag space may be an issue, I'm not sure what you have for magazine OAL. However if you did go with a 300 Sherman, all you do is neck up your .270 brass to 338, use the Sherman die to neck back down to 30 cal to make a false shoulder, then load and shoot it, and you have brass that you can load and shoot 215 grain bullets at 2900-3000 fps depending on barrel length. The downside is no factory available ammo, and a little more effort to make brass, but it's not bad, just means more shooting!!! Also you will never run out of .270 brass and 30 cal bullets.

But if you really don't want to form brass, that is a no go. A 30-06 is about the best performance you will get in a 30 cal without opening the bolt face, if bolt face is opened for a magnum 30 cal that means 300 prc, 300 wm, 30 nosler, and maybe a couple others could be decent options, just consider mag length. A 6.5x284 would be the easiest caliber change to get stellar performance from a 6.5 that would have readily available components and loaded ammo if needed. No concern on mag length.

:D .280 Remington Ackley Improved?

.280 A.I. brass
https://www.bing.com/search?q=brass...-26&sk=&cvid=3A30E79D1552451B9A26FC6BBD394636

Factory Ammo
.280 Remington Ackley Improved ($1.47 per round on up.) https://ammoseek.com/ammo/280-remington-ackley-improved

.280 Remington ($.97-cents per round on up.)
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/280-remington

RIFLES
.280 Remington Ackley Improved
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/firearms/rifles/bolt-action/.280-ackley-improved/

.280 Remington
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/firearms/rifles/bolt-action/.280-remington/

Last edited:
I have a Winchester M70 Lightweight Carbine I purchased when I was 18, that was 24yrs ago. I am looking to re-barrel this rifle, I was thinking about sending it to Hart Barrels and have them put a new barrel on it. That had me thinking about changing caliber as well, with the M70 receiver, what would you guys recommend? I had thought about a 6.5-284, what would work for that receiver? I reload my own ammo, but I don't want to make my own brass, I would like to stay with something that is readily available on the market. I do not have a 30 caliber in my arsenal and do not have a 6.5 in my arsenal. Any thoughts out there that I could use with the receiver?

Thanks.
6.5x284 norma,a long action will be better for any longer bullet

I plan to use it for WT Deer, Hog and plinking. I had also planned to upgrade the stock as well, so this is going to be a semi custom job with Hart doing the Smith work. I already own a Custom 28 Nosler for the chance I go Elk hunting, I was mainly looking for a new "toy" to use for plinking and hunting. ... I am really leaning towards a 6.5 or 280AI, but I have always wanted something in a 6.5, a tack driver, I just don't know which one yet.

Based on your intended use, I'd select the 6.5 Creedmore. It will have much longer barrel life than most of the other suggestions like the 6.5-284 being recommended. The Creedmore has low recoil and is super accurate making it more enjoyable for plinking. It is great for long range 1200 yard whitetails, hogs, and plinking. I only shoot hogs in the head so I don't worry about boars with thick shoulder shields and trailing a dangerous wounded hog through thick brush. It is also easy to work up accurate reloads and uses less powder making it more economical. It's a very forgiving round for exactly what you are planning. As you stated, you don't need an elk gun because you have one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.