recommended powders and loads for the 270Win

My info is with Nosler 150 BT's, just a pre-load to test 150 Accubonds later. Winchester Classic Stainless 24" barrel, Winchester Brass, Fed 210M primers seated 3.381" (.015" from lands). I started with 53.6 grains working up in .5 grain increments. I had some single digit SDs at 54.6 & 55.1 grains and very good accuracy 1" at 200 yards. At 55.6 grains the SD jumped to 19.5 and group went to 1.5" at 200 yards, at 56.1 grains the SD jumped to 30.7 fps and group jumped to 1.75" at 200. I didn't test past that, and unloaded remaining rounds. Hope this helps in your quest.
By the way, Speer data tops out at 54.7 grains of RL23 with their bullets.

Last edited:
130gr Barnes TSX and more recent TTSX
57.0 - 57.5gr IMR 4831
Velocity... approximately 3050fps
Win Mod 70 featherweight 22" barrel
Sub MOA load... have had the occasional 1/2 moa
Am considering switching to a more temperature stable powder.

IMR4350 vs H4350, it matters because they have different burn rates.

+1 on this. H4350 did okay in my .270, but was not at all impressive. Whereas IMR4350 has almost always produced a good and accurate load in the same rifle. I'm going to develop around H4831 to see if I can get the accuracy back while keeping the temp stability. If no luck then back to IMR4350.
I'm shooting Nosler ABLR 150's with CCI 200's inside Remington brass.

Nosler shows h4350 as their most accurate load, rl 26 will get you the velocity for the 150. Just some FYI nosler has a 150 accubond now (not long range) they might be a good alternative as well. Best wishes
Just a piece of advice from a guy who has been reloading over 60 years. When you see a load that says "Most accurate load tested " don't assume it will be produce the same result for your rifle. First, take a look at the test rifle and barrel length that produced the results of all the loads printed. If your rifle has the same twist and barrel length you might get close results. But, if your rifle has a different twist and/ or barrel length, that "best accuracy " you are looking at might be your least accurate load. I usually look at different results of different powders and reload from 10% below the published loads of at least 3 different powders. Then I work them up into their best groups using the bullet I intend shooting.

wow, this is an interesting thread. so I must contribute a little.
I have been shooting 270 Win since 1986-ish. the best powder I ever had for that caliber was AA-3100. I am depressed that Accurate Arms saw fit to eliminate that wonderful powder. I also liked H-1000 until I discovered that H-4350 and H-4831 shot far better and were less picky about the temps and environmentals. I had such consistent results with H-4350 and H-4831 that I never put another H-1000 load together.
I have also gotten IMR powders that worked well in my 270's. 4350 and 4831 did well too, also 7828 in some projo weights did well.
RL-19 with monos worked but not as well as other powders in 140 grain slugs. RL-22 did work well in 150 grain when I saw a need for that heavy of a slug.
Just recently, 4 years ago, did I discover Berger and their heavier slugs for the 0.277" bore diameter. I have plans for a 270 WSM and a 27 Nosler with 1:8" or 1:7" twist rate barrels so I can hurl the 150 VLD through 175 VLD slugs long distances. then I will be coming here for help with load development as well. My 270 Win's do not like over a 135 grain slug. my 270 WSM's love 140 and above but can not stablize the 150's well and will not stabilize Barnes 150's. the Berger 150 through 175 will definitely not stabilize. Hence, the plans for a couple of 1:8" or 1:7" twist barrels.

Right out of the Barnes manual. 130gr TSX/TTSX. 59.5 grs Rel 19, 24" Bbl. Vel 3211 fps. Exactly what my 24" Bbl 270 clocked, 3211. Not the slighest sign of over pressure in my Win 70. An absolute death ray for elk. One shot complete penetration thru heavy bone & or muscle.

Since CA has instituted the "non-lead" for all hunting I have been loading GMX's in my 7mm Rem and 300WM, (and GMX bullet kills!)-but I hadn't loaded any non lead for my .270. I just filled cases with ladder loads of H4350 behind the Barnes TSX in 130 gn. Whenever my range reopens I will share results. First time using the Barnes bullets so I have seated them at .050, .060, .070, and .080 setbacks. so we will see what works and what gives best MV on the Magneto Speed. I will share best loads as I see them. My experience with H4831sc and the 150 gn. Interlock for the .270 have been fantastic and I didn't expect to have to reload for this rifle, but times change and so do the regs.!

im new to 270Win this was my 1st year hunting with it and I think I'm going to like it - any recommended powders and loads for the 270Win greatly appreciated I have been loading 150 Nos partitions with 58gr H1000 its accurate in one of my 270s , I'm going to try IMR 7977 seems to have more velocity - any recommendations or help appreciated

I've tried a few different Alliant powders, my 270AI likes the old IMR 4831 the best.

A particular load may feel great to you but with out actual FPS reading from a chronograph does not tell the true facts. I have chronoed factory 270 130 gr that felt great but were barely 2900 fps. Anemic compared to what you can safely load to. Chronographed loads from friends loads were barely 3000 fps with 130gr yet he was very happy with his load until he read the chrono results. So if your happy with your load enjoy it & don't worry about actual vel. Practice with it & learn where it hits & it will work every time if you held properly.

Last edited:
A particular load may fell great to you but with out actual FPS reading from a chronograph does not tell the true facts. I have chronoed factory 270 130 gr that felt great but were barely 2900 fps. Anemic compared to what you can safely load to. Chronographed loads from friends loads were barely 3000 fps with 130gr yet he was very happy with his load until he read the chrono results. So if your happy with your load enjoy it & don't worry about actual vel. Practice with it & learn where it hits & it will work every time if you held properly.
So true...Never had a dead critter ask what the velocity was! The difference between 2900 and 3100 FPS is a lot less critical than being patient and getting a clean shot into the kill zone.

As long as accuracy is there and velocity provides reasonable killing power with the right bullet for the targeted species, there are no worries. Think of it like this - What do we do with youngsters learning to hunt? Teach them safety and good markmanship with reduced loads, proper hunting techniques like shot placement, and if necessary restrict their hunting range until they work up to handling the more powerful loads. Then emphasize staying within the capabilities of there skill level and the cartridge they are using.

We've all met the handloader who (for example) wants to turn a 30-06 into a 300 magnum...pointless and dangerous! When marksmanship and hunting skill levels exceed the range of the firearm in hand, it's time to look at moving up to the next level. Lots of affordable options on the market today...If you can afford to hunt you can probably find a way to upgrade that 30-06 to a 300 magnum. Might not be the prettiest rifle out at the range, but no one laughs when you tear the heart out of the X ring at 200 yards.

And it goes the other way too - I once watched a guy shooting with a very pricey rifle and a scope that cost more than my first pickup truck...and watched him spray lead all over paper at 100 yards with it. Guess a big wallet does not automatically translate into small groups! So as HESPCO said - find the load that works. Practice with it and enjoy hunting responsibly. Do your part and it won't let you down.