New 270Win Loads

I bought some IMR 4451 as a substitute for H4350 when it was impossible to find, but I still haven't shot up my supply of H4350. I decided to try the IMR in the 270 and I'm very pleased. I just ran with the Nosler book accuracy load for h4350 and a 150gr lrab 20thou off the lands and it shoots half inch groups with no load work. It isn't a speed demon it's just going 2800 but I figured I'll save some barrel life, and this is my mid range rifle anyway.

Last edited:
I'm going to try IMR 7977 with 150gr. bullets. I'll let you now how it works. I have a very busy summer, but hope to get to it as well as others.
this is my exact situation as well. Haven't done any handloading in 3 years now, going to get started right away here. Ive acquired some stuff to play with and don't really have time to play! So I settle for 10 minute windows here and there to read about what others are doing and talk guns on this forum because it's better than nothing and perhaps one really can live vicariously through the experiences of others.
Hodgdons data shows really good things with 7977 and 150s in the 270. I've also got 4451 and 4955 from the enduron series unopened, just itching to be burned already! What I have found is the 270 shines even brighter when we go to even slower burn rates that 4831. I've heard it said and tentatively agree that perhaps more than any other cartridge the 270 winchester is the cartridge that doesn't know it's not a "magnum" and even its preference in powder reflects that for me. I've had great results with 4350-4831 rate powders but honestly even better with 7828, 7828 ssc, rl 22, and rl 25 (which you never hear about as a 270 powder). Really looking forward to trying the 4955 and 7977, and if I get my hands on RL23 (possible for sure) or RL26 (I suspect naively optimistic to even mention it's name) I think they'll rock too.

I bought some IMR 4451 as a substitute for H4350 when it was impossible to find, but I still haven't shot up my supply of H4350. I decided to try the IMR in the 270 and I'm very pleased. I just ran with the Nosler book accuracy load for h4350 and a 150gr lrab 20thou off the lands and it shoots half inch groups with no load work. It isn't a speed demon it's just going 2800 but I figured I'll shave barrel life and this is my mid range rifle anyway.
2800 would be on par with what factory ammo ACTUALLY chronos at, regardless of what the box says, in my experience. So long as the deer can't see them coming and move out of the way, should be good to go!

This reminds me of something one of my great great uncles, Henry, is purported to have said - I have no memories of the man but everyone who knew him had tons, an expert story and joke teller, full of BS but not trying to convince you it was anything else, expressionless, dry, slow to reply, which made it all the funnier. He was in fact a very good shot and had to be to feel himself and his family when times were much harder. he had an old military surplus 8mm mauser, which if you dont know is not a hot rod to begin with and in all non-european loadings is downloaded to a power lever barely above the .30-30. He made a particularly far shot on a deer (in the days when such shots were anything but routine - or approved of) and was asked how he did that. With a straight face he answered that his hunting method was to take the shot, then carefully put the gun down, light up a cigarette, take a few big drags and relax for a moment, then pick up the gun and watch the impact in the scope (his was one of the few rifles around here to wear one in those days). Apparently there were some who didn't realize he was joking...some people...

anyways, that's not gonna happen with 150s at 2800. And smoking is bad for you.

Last edited:
2800 would be on par with what factory ammo ACTUALLY chronos at, regardless of what the box says, in my experience. So long as the deer can't see them coming and move out of the way, should be good to go!

I love the performance of the 150lrab at 2800fps. I've shot 5 deer with it so far, ranges 80, 175, 240, 300, and 475 and every one of them dropped within 3yds of being hit. The 80, 175 and 475 yd shots dropped the deer instantly.

I have Hornady 150gr interlocks loaded with rl-19 and imr 4350, both at 2800 to 2850. They shoot very well and took my elk this past year at 100yrds. I am looking forward to seeing how the imr 7977 works.

I have Hornady 150gr interlocks loaded with rl-19 and imr 4350, both at 2800 to 2850. They shoot very well and took my elk this past year at 100yrds. I am looking forward to seeing how the imr 7977 works.
those interlocks aren't anything flashy but they sure do work, easy to find an accurate load for too, don't really care about seating depth or anything too much. I've used the 130, 140 btsp, and 150 interlock all on whitetail. I find for whatever reason the 140 doesn't quite kill as emphatically, like it doesn't open up as fast or something, and the 130 and 150 both still outpenetrate it. RL 22 got those 140s up to 3080 fps in my 22 inch barrel savage 111, but that was a January load (as in -15 to -35 Celcius average temperatures) and in reading about RL22 temp sensitivity I opted not to use those rounds in anything other than winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.