recommended powders and loads for the 270Win

IMR4350 vs H4350, it matters because they have different burn rates.

Yes, they do - and one is more temperature-sensitive than the other as well. The H-4350 has a burn rate that is closer to IMR 4831 than it is to IMR 4350. This is hair-splitting, but when one gets up there near max pressure, it never hurts to split the hairs.

A particular load may fell great to you but with out actual FPS reading from a chronograph does not tell the true facts. I have chronoed factory 270 130 gr that felt great but were barely 2900 fps. Anemic compared to what you can safely load to. Chronographed loads from friends loads were barely 3000 fps with 130gr yet he was very happy with his load until he read the chrono results. So if your happy with your load enjoy it & don't worry about actual vel. Practice with it & learn where it hits & it will work every time if you held properly.

I agree completely. Stated another way, an extra 100 fps doesn't mean nearly as much as knowing your trajectory and a slightly slower velocity - particularly if the slightly slower load is more accurate in your rifle.

Over the years I have gravitated to the concept of high BC/heavy for caliber bullets at around 2850/2950 fps MV is going to work fairly well out to 400/500 yards. Once you embrace this then accuracy and practice begin to become your goals. A 270 with 140/150 gr bullet falls right into this zone.

Since CA has instituted the "non-lead" for all hunting I have been loading GMX's in my 7mm Rem and 300WM, (and GMX bullet kills!)-but I hadn't loaded any non lead for my .270. I just filled cases with ladder loads of H4350 behind the Barnes TSX in 130 gn. Whenever my range reopens I will share results. First time using the Barnes bullets so I have seated them at .050, .060, .070, and .080 setbacks. so we will see what works and what gives best MV on the Magneto Speed. I will share best loads as I see them. My experience with H4831sc and the 150 gn. Interlock for the .270 have been fantastic and I didn't expect to have to reload for this rifle, but times change and so do the regs.!

I've also had exceptional terminal performance with the GMX bullets. Nothing larger than deer yet, but I've had complete penetration on every one I've shot. All have been frontal chest shots. ( While I don't particularly like that shot presentation, it's about all you get when you rattle in the deer.) They have all dropped right now, without even a wiggle or a kick. The hearts & lungs had fairly large holes, but were not completely blown up. Guts were not a mess, even though the bullets went through them, too. I think that by the time they got that far into the animals, the bullets were done expanding, and the wound cavity was pretty small. Exit wounds were also pretty small. Curious to see how they behave on larger animals ...…….

im new to 270Win this was my 1st year hunting with it and I think I'm going to like it - any recommended powders and loads for the 270Win greatly appreciated I have been loading 150 Nos partitions with 58gr H1000 its accurate in one of my 270s , I'm going to try IMR 7977 seems to have more velocity - any recommendations or help appreciated

H4831SC.

I too use nothing but R-26 in the 6.5 creed 143 eldx , 270 130 3150fps, 140 AB 3080, 150 LRAB 3000 all from a
22" Tikka T3X and all loads will shoot at or close to a half inch at 100 yds.

Right out of the Barnes manual. 130gr TSX/TTSX. 59.5 grs Rel 19, 24" Bbl. Vel 3211 fps. Exactly what my 24" Bbl 270 clocked, 3211. Not the slighest sign of over pressure in my Win 70. An absolute death ray for elk. One shot complete penetration thru heavy bone & or muscle.

Sorry Hespco, not singling you out but with so many Re types to try from 19 to 26, I'm having a hard time trying to figure which one to try. So many comments about Re19 being temp sensitive as an example. There is even overlap in their own data.

REL-23 was designed to replace 22 because of temperature sensitivity. While the burn rate is close to 22, it is not identical. This was verified in a conversation with an Alliant Powder rep..

Sorry Hespco, not singling you out but with so many Re types to try from 19 to 26, I'm having a hard time trying to figure which one to try. So many comments about Re19 being temp sensitive as an example. There is even overlap in their own data.
All I can say is that this load 59.5 gr Rel 19 & the Barnes 130gr TTSX shows the same vel, 3211 fps over two chrono's here at my place . Almost cut's cloverleafs from my New Haven Win stainless 270 24" bbl. Also the fact that it is a tested safe load by Barnes takes it out of the shade tree realm. My longest target is 522 yds. & this load performs out to this range. No problem. If it's temp sensitive I have never noticed it. Of course a hot summer day here ( 7630' ) is high 80's. Since I have my own range I shoot regularly year round, weather permitting & I have yet to see temp be a problem. This same powder also makes my 6.5x06 perform quite well also.

Last edited:
OK, I finally got around to shooting RL26 in my 270Win today. OMG! Nosler 150 ABLR velocity flattened out at 3075 fps and the 145 ELDX did same at 3150 fps! Neither showed signs of pressure at all. No ejector marks, primers looked great and bolt lift was normal. Book loads in 24" barrel 0.020 off which still fits in my 51 year old 110C magazine. Loads were not compressed which is something I prefer not to do for all the normal reasons. Shot in backyard just for velocity and hope to get to range once the lockdown is over. But nevertheless, RL26 was an eye opener for me in the .270 and obviously opens up a lot of thought going forward on whether I scavage this action out for a new .270 build. Not sure I will since it is my first rifle and has lot of memories in it. So guess I just talked myself into a new build! I can get 100 yards if I do some trimming of my 5 acres for a shooting lane so tomorrow looks like that will happen. I really anxious to see how the loads look at 100 just as starting point. Thankfully I just found a 8# RL26 so I will be set for a little while!

OK, I finally got around to shooting RL26 in my 270Win today. OMG! Nosler 150 ABLR velocity flattened out at 3075 fps and the 145 ELDX did same at 3150 fps! Neither showed signs of pressure at all. No ejector marks, primers looked great and bolt lift was normal. Book loads in 24" barrel 0.020 off which still fits in my 51 year old 110C magazine. Loads were not compressed which is something I prefer not to do for all the normal reasons. Shot in backyard just for velocity and hope to get to range once the lockdown is over. But nevertheless, RL26 was an eye opener for me in the .270 and obviously opens up a lot of thought going forward on whether I scavage this action out for a new .270 build. Not sure I will since it is my first rifle and has lot of memories in it. So guess I just talked myself into a new build! I can get 100 yards if I do some trimming of my 5 acres for a shooting lane so tomorrow looks like that will happen. I really anxious to see how the loads look at 100 just as starting point. Thankfully I just found a 8# RL26 so I will be set for a little while!
Wish I had a win 70 CRF action to rebarrel as I have a nice New Haven Win CRF stainless 24" 270 barrel barrel just sitting here . Can't find an action.