recommended powders and loads for the 270Win

I found H4831SC & RL 23 to be almost identical in accuracy and velocity with my 270 Win M70 24" barrel. I can get a little more velocity with RL23 but the rifles accuracy starts to drop off. If I ever see RL26 again for sale I will give it a try, I'm waiting for weather to improve to go out and try IMR 7977. My proven accuracy load is with H4831SC at a slightly reduced velocity from the others. I like experimenting with other powders time/weather permitting ... it keeps me in tune with the rifle during the off season. Will also be testing the 150 Accubond (not LR version) this year.

My Tikka T3 likes this

Sierra 140gr SBT Gameking .270 Cal - 0.277in.
55.5gr H4831SC Powder
Federal 210 Match Large Rifle Primer
Nosler Brass - Case Length 2.540in
COAL: 3.30in
Muzzle velocity: 2,760 ft/sec

130gn Hornady GMX or any mono, on top of 54.0gn IMR4350. Flat shooting, proven killer from pronghorn to elk.

Shot the old 60 gr. H4831 130 gr. load out of my 24" Sako for years with great success, Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, whatever. When I started using Barnes X bullets I had pressure issues and backed down to 58 grs. accurate load. When the tsx bullets came out accuracy improved slightly, just stayed at 58 grs.

I tried RL23 in my 270 win three years ago, and wow was I impressed!

It's my go-to powder with this cartridge loading 140-150 gr pills....

270 Winchester load - With Win brass and a just about any standard (non-magnum) primer, I use 55.0 grains of H4831SC behind any 150 grain bullet you care to try. Velocities will vary (usually 2750 - 2900 or so) with the rifle and of course which bullet you choose, but the accuracy hovers around 1/2 MOA or better with all of them. Over the years I have run this set up with at least 5-6 different pills out of numerous rifles, everything from a Browning lever to a Ruger #1 to I don't know how many different bolt actions (but at least 4 of my own.)

Of course, standard cautions apply - always match COAL to your rifle, staying out of the lands when chambered. And in any handloading exercise - watch for pressure signs! You may have to tweak this up or down a bit to optimize the results in your rifle, depending on the bullet you choose to work with...generally start with recommended COAL and you'll probably be okay. Can't say I've actually seen the need to tweak the powder charge, as adjusting the COAL slightly dialed in the accuracy for me...assuming that your launcher's magazine gives you the room to play. But that said, plus or minus a half-grain of powder might work for you.

I've watched more than a couple deer and elk fall over after meeting this recipe. Pick the right bullet for the game you are hunting, tweak the load to your launcher, and enjoy your 270!

I tried RL23 in my 270 win three years ago, and wow was I impressed!

It's my go-to powder with this cartridge loading 140-150 gr pills....

Howdy! Just curious what RL-23 powder charge weight worked with what bullet(s)? I have some 23 to try and would like to know results (accuracy and velocity) you have obtained. Thanks!

im new to 270Win this was my 1st year hunting with it and I think I'm going to like it - any recommended powders and loads for the 270Win greatly appreciated I have been loading 150 Nos partitions with 58gr H1000 its accurate in one of my 270s , I'm going to try IMR 7977 seems to have more velocity - any recommendations or help appreciated
My go to load for the 270 is 57.3gr. of rl 23 a 150 berger br2 primer and norma brass its running 3027 fps out of a 24 in. tube very flat shooting and kills very well

My go to load for the 270 is 57.3gr. of rl 23 a 150 berger br2 primer and norma brass its running 3027 fps out of a 24 in. tube very flat shooting and kills very well
Think I'll try this...been looking at something with higher velocity than my pet load just for grins. Any chance you tried it with brass besides the Norma? I have other brands in the cabinet but no Norma in 270.

Think I'll try this...been looking at something with higher velocity than my pet load just for grins. Any chance you tried it with brass besides the Norma? I have other brands in the cabinet but no Norma in 270.
no it was what I had when I worked up the load just start about 2gr. less and work up I never saw any pressure signs till I hit 58.5 gr. but my best accuracy came with 57.3 iam at the lands not jammed but touching

Recent Posts