Best Powders and Loads for the 7mm and 300. wsm

matt_3479

I own a 7mm rem mag and a 300 wsm and i am just collecting all the data and then im going to start reloading asap. Im looking for a load for the 7mm that will be good for deer sized game in open fields of Montana, but also swamp and bush of Ontario. The majority of my hunting will be in open fields where long shots are often a possibility. Im leaning towards a 140 grain of 150 grain because of the speeds for long range. I know my gun likes 140's but have never tired 150's before. Im looking at the accubond. Any other bullets suggested? Im looking for powders that would be good or even loads? SO far the RE-22, and RE- 17 seem to be popular. Even the H4350 and hodgdon retumbo. What do you think?

I also need a load for my 300. wsm. I will be shooting 180 grain most likely accubonds for medium to long range on game such as caribou, black bear and moose. I have had shooting opportunity from 50 yards to 500-600 yards. Majority of my shots will be between 100-300 yards. Im thinking of using the same powders as the 7mm.

What do you guys think? will these powders do for both? if there was one powder that will give me speed and accuracy what would you suggest? any loads you can suggest? Any heads?

All the help is very appreciated

Dont forget RL-19 and IMR 4831. They perform very well.
Some folks will say Magpro powder for the wsm. It gives great velocities from what I here, but seems to be a Love/Hate thing with accuracy. Some rifles love it some hate it from what Ive hered.
About the only thing you can do is load and shoot and see what loads and powders your rifles like. If your stuck on using just one powder to get you started look hard at the IMR 4831 for a good all round powder thats very temp stable. But Id lean toward RL-19 or RL-22 and IMR 4831 for my top pics.
As far as shooting your 7mag (I.M.O.) Id go with a bullet in the 160gr ish range rather than 140's or 150's. Youll EASILY get 3000fps+ and a way higher B.C. As for the 300wsm, (again IMO) A 180gr first pic, or at least 165-168 gr min.
My favorite primers so far are the Fed 215 lg mag.
Read your loading book carefully every chance you get, and you'll pick up alot of very usefull and helpfull info on powders etc.
Good luck with your choices

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.