Recommend me a 308Win bullet

Dave in WI

Here's what I have: 308 Winchester that I built with a Brux 10T #5 contour at 20".
What I want: Bullet in 165-175gr that will work for shooting steel, but will double as hunting bullet if called upon.
wow, not asking for much, huh? I know my rifle will tell me what it wants. But, suggestions for something not high priced as will be shot mostly at steel (I have 800yds here). But I don't want a "match" bullet with questionable performance on game.
This rifle will always be shot with a suppressor.
I know there are lots a possibilities/tastes, but want to narrow it down to just a couple to try. I would be more than happy to keep .5 to .75 MOA. Not expecting to shoot in .1's and .2s, mostly because I am not capable.
Edited to add: Loading to BDL magazine 2.830 or less.

Last edited:
Here's what I have: 308 Winchester that I built with a Brux 10T #5 contour at 20".
What I want: Bullet in 165-175gr that will work for shooting steel, but will double as hunting bullet if called upon.
wow, not asking for much, huh? I know my rifle will tell me what it wants. But, suggestions for something not high priced as will be shot mostly at steel (I have 800yds here). But I don't want a "match" bullet with questionable performance on game.
I know there are lots a possibilities/tastes, but want to narrow it down to just a couple to try. I would be more than happy to keep .5 to .75 MOA. Not expecting to shoot in .1's and .2s, mostly because I am not capable.
berger 168 or 175 will work for either or the 165 game king is also a nice option for a little less money

Another vote for the Berger classic hunter. 168gr

I have used the 168gr VLD hunter in both 308 and 7mmRM. My 308 is also shot suppressed 100% of the time.
It has dropped deer dead every time for me in 308, but if the deer are too close when shooting the VLD's in 7mmRM they may run a bit. A few have behaved like they were not even hit. walked off and died later. no lost game thus far, knock on wood. It really is a long range bullet, not a 200 yard or less bullet.

So that's why my vote has gone toward the classic hunter. It's what I use now and no more problems. Plus, through practice I know it is accurate enough for me out to 1,000 with either rifle. I just don't shoot deer that far.

IMO you can shoot steel with anything where they allow shooting steel and why not practice with your hunting round?

Last edited:
Hornady 165 grain Boat Tail Interlock or Intebond depending on what you want to hunt. Plenty accurate for targets, great hunting bullet with a very good B.C. Come in box of 100 for less than 50 of the more expensive options so you can afford to shoot LOTS.

Edited to add: Loading to BDL magazine 2.830 or less.
I think the Hornady 165sst is a good bullet for dual purpose. I get .3-.4 in groups out of my savage 110 using 44.0gr of Varget

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.