308win hunting bullet

5280yotes

I have recently purchased a savage 10 fcp-k and it shoots so well with 168g a-max over varget im getting under an inch 3shot groups at 300yds. I know the a-max is not a hunting bullet. I think for antelope it might be fine but mulies in eastern colorado they might be too frangible. I have been looking at the 165g sst and the berger 168vld. I was just kinda hoping someone else has already done this as i know how many fans the 308 has. Im liking the 308win it has really impressed me. I would like for it to be a 500yd elk gun but I think im asking for a little too much there. Long range hunting is all new to me but im hooked so sorry if this has been asked a 100 times before. Thanks in advance.

Unless the colorado mulies are tougher than the ones in sd i would shoot away with the 168 amax. used them last 2 years and have not had to have a follow up shot yet on 9 deer any where from 100 to 450 it has performed well.

Well I have no first hand experience with the above but I think if you run a search you will find many refrences to the AMAX being used for hunting. I remember a thread by Shawn Carlock in which a client of his took her elk with a 6.5 140g AMAX at more than 500 yards in a rifle he built for her.

Jon

Thats great.. Thanks guys, I cant wait to take some game with this rifle. Im working on my 7mag to get it to shoot as good with berger 168's, not quite there yet but I have plenty of time. The new savage accustock rifles are amazing shooters out of the box and im having a blast. Im already so addicted I cant wait for my first custom...:)

I took this N. Carolina buck with a single 155gr A-Max to the chest from my .308. One big leap and it was all over. Shot was taken at 200 yards.
Occoneechee_Lodge_2010_009.jpg

I just got these but no testing yet: 168 Gr. Barnes TSX.

Great bullet.. I shot a 5x5 bull elk with that same bullet at 194yds out of a 300wsm and it went through both front sholders and exited. I had the TTSX's not the TSX. Let us know how they shoot at longer distances.

I've had good luck with the 150 gr Etip. Getting 2850 out of my 24" barrel over a charge of Varget. The 150 at .308 Win velocities seems to be the best bet.

I've had good luck with the 150 gr Etip. Getting 2850 out of my 24" barrel over a charge of Varget. The 150 at .308 Win velocities seems to be the best bet.

I think you hit the nail on the head, I wouldn't go anywhere over the 168 TSX/TTSX in the 308. I shoot Barnes in almost everything, from 6mm up to 458, I have found a little extra speed is needed to achieve the performance I expect. I would look at the 150's VERY hard for the 308.

I liked the 175 VLD hunting bullets when I use them out of my .308 Win on antelope out to 400 yds. It was easy to get within that distance so I had no reason to shoot farther. I also shot the 175 at 1,000 yds during competition and they did very well. The 168's and 180's didn't seem to have the velocity at 1,000 to maintain supersonic at 1,000 yds. Just my experience out of my rifle.

Gordon

With my 308 and Hornady SST's i have killed several deer. Complete pass through's out to 400yds with 150gr's

I have loaded up some 178 A-max's for longer range shots. With deer the Amax is fine. SST's are tuff stuff and will serve you well.

I have some friends that swear by the 175VLD, they have a lease in KS & took 10 Whitetails there last year with that bullet & liked the results. I think the new Barnes 175TTSX/LRX with a BC of .508 looks good but I havn't shot it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.