308 Win. Target bullet or Hunting bullet

G

GNERGY

I have a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in 308 I have been playing with. I put a brake on it and a Bobby Hart LRT stock topped with a Burris 6x-24x Black Diamond. I have been using the Berger168gr VLD target bullets and can keep them in a 3 inch circle at 500 Meters ( 560 yds.) .
If I want to use it for hunting deer, bear, mountain lion, coyotes, cause it is easier to carry than my 338 Ultra mag. for shorter ranges should I just use the bergers ( are they more than capeable for effective one shot kills, I don't want to hit a bear or Mtn lion here in AZ and have to look for it or loose it. ) or should I go with a 125 gr Nosler BT or Accubond or a 130 gr Barnes TTSX for more penetration? Which means I have to do more load development, that I don't really mind gun).
I have done some searching and a lot of guys like the 125 to 130 gr bullets for hunting in their 308's. I have also read that a lot of guys hunt with the Bergers with good results.
What do my fellow LRH experts have to say.
Thanks
Tarey

I think you should stick with the Bergers. But I have made up my mind and glad that I did for the bullet I have chosen. I am using the 168 Nosler Hunting Balistic tip in my .308 this year and probably forever. I have put together a really good load with good velocity using AR Comp powder by Alliant. The reason I have chosen the Nosler Ballistic tip is due to it low speed expansion capability. I can attest to its accuracy. It has a .490 BC, that is pretty much spot on. I put together a 1.5" group at 718yds and .116" at 100yds with this rifle. Mind you it is not a bench rifle. The smallest groups was shot off the bench and the 1.5" group was shot prone. I have not used Berger's in that weight yet, so not sure how they would do in my rifle. But I have a feeling the Berger will do all you want it to in the field should you decide to go that route.

Tank

What made you put the brake on? Not much kick and now its a heck of a lot louder for you! gun)Stick with the Bergers if they're putting those groups up for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.