308 subsonic hunting bullet

Anyone with experience with a good bullet for hunting whitetail. Ours are small so needs a bullet that expands quickly and the lower velocity. Any recommendations? I have been looking but all seem to be sold out except for faster twist 300 blackout. It will be a 308 win with 1:10 twist 26" barrel. I finally picked up some tin star powder it is supposed to be the next best thing to trailboss but it is unobtainable now

Thanks

Buck
I would not shoot any big game with a sub sonic bullet I had a 300 whisper built for me years ago it was a tack driver i shot a bobcat one time through the head at about 60 yards boom flop I go get my cat throw him in the back of my truck he had a hole in his head you could of slid a number 2 pencil through out the other side I got home got out of my old Toyota was going to unload the cat **** if he wasn't sitting up looking around so I hurried up went got 22 pistol and killed him sold the gun 2 weeks later wouldn't own another one unless was using it with a muffler in war. David

I would not shoot any big game with a sub sonic bullet I had a 300 whisper built for me years ago it was a tack driver i shot a bobcat one time through the head at about 60 yards boom flop I go get my cat throw him in the back of my truck he had a hole in his head you could of slid a number 2 pencil through out the other side I got home got out of my old Toyota was going to unload the cat **** if he wasn't sitting up looking around so I hurried up went got 22 pistol and killed him sold the gun 2 weeks later wouldn't own another one unless was using it with a muffler in war. David

I know what you are talking about here, I had very average results years ago using all sorts of conventional projectiles

That is why you need to use purpose built CNC subsonic specific projectiles, no way that would happen using them

Shot a lot of subsonic. Since you are under 1100 fps, weigh and metplat are your friend. See if you can find some .310 -.311 220 grain flat nose cast bullets. They will penetrate really well, cause a large hole to promote bleeding, are accurate and kill quite rapidly. The best jacketed bullet is the Hornady 220 grain round nose Interlock.

217 grain round nose. 310

311_217_RN_lARGEST.jpg

238 grain Flat nose

311FP238.jpg

I harvested a nice deer last year with the outlaw state bullets and they worked pretty good. The tinstar powder was good but not super consistent with the 200g bullets. I order some of the 195 cavity back bullets and got less than 1 inch group today. The Bullets below I retrieved in the dirt behind my back stop. They look promising and will continue to work on different loads with these bullets before trying different powders. I look forward to trying this bullet out on deer this season

Thanks

Buck

1667093708685.jpeg

As mentioned already. These bullets have harvested many deer and hogs. These mono bullets with there huge expanded petals from water and gel I can promise you do not perf that way in living flesh. They fold back and primary wound path is no bigger than a std mushroom at best.

http://www.outlawstatebullets.com/2.html

Pick the ones for twist 1:10 up. Expect around 1"-1.5" groups. These bullets expand well down to 800-850fps. Anything from 1-2" groups is plenty for a max range of 100-150yd med game hunting.

Do not forget at subsonic vel there is exponentially less air resistance. A subsonic bullet would only lose roughly 300-350 fps vel from 0 to 1000yds.

Hunting distance has to do with trajectory, accuracy, and TOF.

A 500gr FN FB 458 flying brick @ 1000fps mv is still retaining 638 fps @1k. @ 400 yd is 810 fps the same vel and energy as a 454 casuall at point blank. Point being a 30 cal in the 200-260gr range that can expand to .45 has more power than a 357 or equal to a 44mag at point blank. The issue is hitting what your aiming at.

It's still a lousy hunting perf given what we have today. Yet we are fine shooting old flint locks with rd ball with irons at 150yd+ so.......

Last edited:
I tried the 5744 powder @ 11.1 grains. fairly consistent on 220 grain sub-X hornady bullets.

If I recall expand down to 800fps

Cavity Back needs to get on the 338 bandwagon in a big hurry. Maker's haven't been in stcok for 8.6 BLK since I started watching. Those look almost identical to how the Makers open in my 300 BLK, now I just need them in 270-350gn 338 please and thanks.

Recent Posts