Subsonic Bullets

idcwby

Looking at getting a 458 Socom for subsonic use. What has been everyone's experience with subsonic bullets? Are the expanding bullets better than a big flatnose solid lead bullet?

CBB looks good to, but I don't see a .458 cal bullet on there.

Any terminal performance difference between these style bullets and a solid style?

If you could find rather soft cast round nose HP or Keith design HP bullet with a gas check and proper bullet lube. Should give good terminal performance.

For subsonic bullets use heavy for caliber hunting bullets. Make sure you have a fast twist barrel so you can run them. The heavier bullets allows you to run more fill capacity to stay subsonic. This will end with you having more consistent burn rates and muzzle velocity. The more empty the case is, the more unique the powder will lay in the case before firing leading to different burn rates.

For subsonic bullets use heavy for caliber hunting bullets. Make sure you have a fast twist barrel so you can run them. The heavier bullets allows you to run more fill capacity to stay subsonic. This will end with you having more consistent burn rates and muzzle velocity. The more empty the case is, the more unique the powder will lay in the case before firing leading to different burn rates.
Have you seen any terminal differences between the solid copper hollowpoints vs a flatnose solid lead style bullet?

Have you seen any terminal differences between the solid copper hollowpoints vs a flatnose solid lead style bullet?
If we are talking about hunting then yes. Lead performs better. Since it is malleable it will stay together better where as solid copper bullets can deform but often just fragment in my experience.

If we are talking about hunting then yes. Lead performs better. Since it is malleable it will stay together better where as solid copper bullets can deform but often just fragment in my experience.
Yes for hunting. Solid doesn't need as fast of twist as some the expanding coppers, so trying to decide if the faster twist is worth the hassle to be able to shoot the coppers.

Yes for hunting. Solid doesn't need as fast of twist as some the expanding coppers, so trying to decide if the faster twist is worth the hassle to be able to shoot the coppers.
Twist rate needs is determined by bullet length. Of course a longer bullet is also heavier (SDS being another discussion). Copper bullets must be longer to be heavier since you don't have the lead, tungsten, aluminum, steel inserts and copper isn't a very dense/heavy metal to begin with. So you are forced to run faster twist rates.

I would just run a lead based bullet for hunting (unless you have some law that won't allow it).

Hornady's 255gr Sub-X for 7.62x39, over 12gr CFE-BLK have worked out very well for me, as far as being quiet, suppressed. I'll test out expansion, soon, on hogs that are rooting up my property.