199g Shock hammer bullets subsonic

Benman73

1627998854654.jpeg

Maker Bullet out of my 300 BLK bolt gun, around 950 fps.

Brian D

If the cutting edge do not work for you, you may also consider the Lehigh maximum expansion. They open exceptionally well and reliable. I have tried those and the Maker bullets. The Lehigh grouped much better than the Makers for me in a 7 twist bolt action blackout.

Greta06

Lehigh defense 194 maximum expansion, look no further. Designed to be a subsonic hunting bullet, dont try and use something that is not! Devastating on deer and full penetration, only ever recovered one so far on deer. I have the hornady 190 subx as well but have only done testing on small critters, but also successful.

Benman73

Left: 194 Lehigh @ 950, right: 200 Maker @950, center: 110 Barnes TAC-TX @ 2375 for comparison. These were all fired into rows of water filled milk jugs so not relevant to flesh, but it’s all I had available at the time. It appears that the LeHigh tumbled which bent back two of the petals. The thicker Maker petals do seem more resistant to this. I have taken one mid size doe with the Maker bullet last fall and was surprised at how quickly she went down.
1628006270492.jpeg

264MHC

I like the looks of that Maker bullet. Wonder how it would do as an HD round as far as over penetration?

Benman73

If I recall correctly, it penetrated through several of the jugs and I had to dig it out of woodpile. So I would use a projectile designed for minimal penetration for this purpose.

Northkill

LRH Team Member
Left: 194 Lehigh @ 950, right: 200 Maker @950, center: 110 Barnes TAC-TX @ 2375 for comparison. These were all fired into rows of water filled milk jugs so not relevant to flesh, but it’s all I had available at the time. It appears that the LeHigh tumbled which bent back two of the petals. The thicker Maker petals do seem more resistant to this. I have taken one mid size doe with the Maker bullet last fall and was surprised at how quickly she went down.
The Lehigh looks like it'd require a faster twist to stabilize. Chance that's why it tumbled?

264MHC

If I recall correctly, it penetrated through several of the jugs and I had to dig it out of woodpile. So I would use a projectile designed for minimal penetration for this purpose.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if their 200gn fracturing bullet would be a better choice. Be interesting to test. I like the idea of a subsonic suppressed round indoors to minimize noise and flash. The terminal ballistics would have to be there though.

Benman73

The Lehigh looks like it'd require a faster twist to stabilize. Chance that's why it tumbled?
I don't think that is the reason. My 300 BLK bolt rifle is a 1-7 and they shoot very small groups. I shot three or four of them into jugs and most of them had at least one petal bend backwards 90 degrees. I think they just began to tumble when they slammed into the water, which is not a good test for a bullet. But they might cause more damage tumbling... who knows? I really like the LeHigh bullets but I chose to hunt with the Maker and it did a fine job on the one time I used it.

Benman73

Thanks for the info. I wonder if their 200gn fracturing bullet would be a better choice. Be interesting to test. I like the idea of a subsonic suppressed round indoors to minimize noise and flash. The terminal ballistics would have to be there though.
I honestly don't know. But if I wanted to stop a threat inside my house, I would grab my shotgun over any subsonic round, be it a handgun or a rifle.

mdvctry

The Leigh high defense 194g max expansion is what I am looking at now but can’t find any in stock
These work really well in my .300 blackout subsonic. I have them loaded for home defense. I bought them after watching several videos of them taking deer out to 100yds.

Greta06

I have a 308 with a 8 twist that wont stabilize them, but yet no issue in 300 blk with an 8 twist. So i would guess it just depends on the the gun...
I do like the look of the maker bullet and would try them if the lehigh were unavailable.

Recent Posts