Recommend me a 308Win bullet

Here's what I have: 308 Winchester that I built with a Brux 10T #5 contour at 20".
What I want: Bullet in 165-175gr that will work for shooting steel, but will double as hunting bullet if called upon.
wow, not asking for much, huh? I know my rifle will tell me what it wants. But, suggestions for something not high priced as will be shot mostly at steel (I have 800yds here). But I don't want a "match" bullet with questionable performance on game.
This rifle will always be shot with a suppressor.
I know there are lots a possibilities/tastes, but want to narrow it down to just a couple to try. I would be more than happy to keep .5 to .75 MOA. Not expecting to shoot in .1's and .2s, mostly because I am not capable.
Edited to add: Loading to BDL magazine 2.830 or less.
Pretty much anything in that weight range will work. Sierra, Berger and Speer are my favorites.

Here's what I have: 308 Winchester that I built with a Brux 10T #5 contour at 20".
What I want: Bullet in 165-175gr that will work for shooting steel, but will double as hunting bullet if called upon.
wow, not asking for much, huh? I know my rifle will tell me what it wants. But, suggestions for something not high priced as will be shot mostly at steel (I have 800yds here). But I don't want a "match" bullet with questionable performance on game.
This rifle will always be shot with a suppressor.
I know there are lots a possibilities/tastes, but want to narrow it down to just a couple to try. I would be more than happy to keep .5 to .75 MOA. Not expecting to shoot in .1's and .2s, mostly because I am not capable.
Edited to add: Loading to BDL magazine 2.830 or less.
168 grain competition hp from nosler works great

I'd go Sierra 165 TGK or the 180 gameking original. Personally im using the 195 TMK from an 20" SPR XP with good results but I can't comment on terminal performance. Reloader 15 has always been good to me in 308

165 Hornaday SP. This is a flat base bullet with a B.C. of a brick. Just goes to show you don't always have to go high end to get good results. I was fire forming some new brass and using really old IMR 3031.
shot_1586971410244.jpg

The 165 Sierra Game King and the Hornady 178 ELD-X shoot good in my 20" .308 rifles. The 178 ELD-X are very quite through the Specwar762 can. The Sierra isn't expensive at all and shoots good. Not nearly as good as the group that 308win posted but good enough to shoot steel and kill game.

For lots of shooting, it's tough to beat the 165 Sierra Game King ($33/100 @ Midway). On game performance is more than adequate if deer are your primary game. Perhaps an accubond/Ballistic Tip combo if elk may be on the table.

I'd go with a ballistic tip or gamechanger. My preference is the 125 TNT or the 125 Ballistic Tip. TNT works good if you keep it off the shoulder.

For those who may question the integrity of the 165 Sierra hpbt for hunting, my buddy has went 3/3 on 5 pt bulls the last 3 years. He shoots a factory 3006 , velocity is 2850 at the muzzle, bc is low compared to the new gamechanger but I would not hesitate to utilize either bullet to do what your wanting to do especially in front of some varget or 4064. Best wishes!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.