Recoil

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?
Congrats on the weight loss👍

SIG Sauer Cross Magnum in 300 Win Mag is using an integrated radial compensator design to reduce felt recoil of this Magnum cartridge by forty-five percent. Probably just reverse engineered a Wacker 2-stroke rammer soil compactor. Only the dirt gets hurt, not the operator.

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
Suggestions?
Or maybe go to a 7mm X08 or 308 like someone else said, I have both and also a 6.5 PRC and recoil very little, Congrats on the weight loss, what other drug did you take , love to do the same. but only need to drop 25 lb./

Couldn't resist....

Attachments

• IMG_20231019_102518.jpg
    IMG_20231019_102518.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 55
I love muzzle Brakes. Anything over 22 cal will get one. My MPA 6CM WITH the hell fire break is stupid impressive. But Terminator MB T3 is going on my 30-06 AI to be finished in the next month or 2. Can't freaking wait.
All MB increases noise ALL of them. No free lunch. Suppressors would be amazing but not everyone is allowed to own them unfortunately.
I hunt and shoot with hearing protection. I totally understand auditory exclusion but in a hunting scenario I love my plugs or headphones sordins are amazing

Suggestions?
I went through and read all of the replies so far. There are some good ones. The quiet brake for one, I put one on my 338. It made a world of difference, but it isn't actually quiet. There is a new one out that is actually quiet. I have only seen one. Instead of a few of holes all the way around, it has a lot of small holes all the way around. I don't know how it works but it does. However those things can get kind of expensive, so last year when I decided to start loading full house ammo for my 45-70, my shoulder got pretty well bruised, possibly more so because I was wearing a 'T'shirt for padding. So, I took it to my favorite gunsmith and he ported the barrel for me. I had to take it back because the first time he put in two rows of ports and I had him put in a third row. It isn't exactly like a brake, but it does help a little. One thing to watch out for is the placement of the holes. The holes on mine came up and the top row were covered half way by the front sight. The first time I shot it, the front sight went off of the barrel and landed several feet away. Not a big deal since I had mounted a 4X scope on the gun anyway.
If that does not work for you, I suggest you try a suppressor. They are not cheap becuae you will need to get your barrel threaded, and it taks about a year to get one cleared thru BATFE, but they take out some recoil as well. Don't bother with a little one for a magnum caliber, go ahead and get a full sized one. These 76 yr old eyes don't do well with iron sights to start with. Yup, loosing weight can be both a blessing and a bit of a curse depending on how you handle recoil to start with. Gettin old is pigeon poop. I apologize for the long winded reply.

Suggestions?
If weight is a concern, these weigh virtually nothing. I have them on all my bolt rifles. They flat work! For the big boomers you mention the 5 port is the way to go. https://www.unknownmunitions.com/product/ti-pro-5/

I love muzzle Brakes. Anything over 22 cal will get one. My MPA 6CM WITH the hell fire break is stupid impressive. But Terminator MB T3 is going on my 30-06 AI to be finished in the next month or 2. Can't freaking wait.
All MB increases noise ALL of them. No free lunch. Suppressors would be amazing but not everyone is allowed to own them unfortunately.
I hunt and shoot with hearing protection. I totally understand auditory exclusion but in a hunting scenario I love my plugs or headphones sordins are amazing
I have started using electronic muffs for hunting as they amplify quiet sounds and cut out loud sounds.

STS 5 port brake will definitely tame the recoil. They offer them in stainless or titanium. They are the best I have ever tried and I hate shooting braked rifles. But they have their place on the big boomers.

Radial brakes are really good at making your rifle loud as hell but pretty much suck for recoil reduction.

Also everyone keeps suggesting a recoil pad. They can lessen the sharp pain on your shoulder but they do nothing to take the momentum of recoil from the rifle. Pads cannot change physics, only help reduce the potential pain from a heavy recoiling rifle.

Recoil is a sensitive issue as I get older. Had complicated shoulder surgery and the Doctors suggested I not shot high powered rifles any longer. I told them that was not going to happen.
The first thing I did was to sell my 300 WM and had a rifle built around a 300 WSM which has noticeably less recoil compared to the 300WM.
Then the research and trials around recoil reduction led me to using Limb Saver 1" pads.
Then came the other end and a trial of brakes and suppressors. I hated the concussive and loud nature of the brakes so I ended up with a ti 8.5" can.
The 300 WSM is loaded pretty hot and yet the felt recoil is less then my 6mm CM.
My Doctor is a hunter and I let him shoot the modified 300 and he blessed it in a heart beat and has done the same thing to his 300WM, pad and can.
Suppressors are not the least expensive way to go but if you use a ti can the weight is only 9oz and the sound is really reduced, a lot reduced.
I have built several more short fat magnums and they all shoot great and with a can. My favorite turned out ot be a 7MM SAUM pushing a 150 BT at 3,150.
Noice and recoil are no friend to mature adults.

I have started using electronic muffs for hunting as they amplify quiet sounds and cut out loud sounds.
I used to wear Howard Leight's all day hunting and got a nasty infection my left ear.Sweat so bad I had to take them off every now and then.
Ear doctor did not recommend all day use of that protection.Lost about 30% of hearing in the left ear.

Recoil is a sensitive issue as I get older. Had complicated shoulder surgery and the Doctors suggested I not shot high powered rifles any longer. I told them that was not going to happen.
The first thing I did was to sell my 300 WM and had a rifle built around a 300 WSM which has noticeably less recoil compared to the 300WM.
Then the research and trials around recoil reduction led me to using Limb Saver 1" pads.
Then came the other end and a trial of brakes and suppressors. I hated the concussive and loud nature of the brakes so I ended up with a ti 8.5" can.
The 300 WSM is loaded pretty hot and yet the felt recoil is less then my 6mm CM.
My Doctor is a hunter and I let him shoot the modified 300 and he blessed it in a heart beat and has done the same thing to his 300WM, pad and can.
Suppressors are not the least expensive way to go but if you use a ti can the weight is only 9oz and the sound is really reduced, a lot reduced.
I have built several more short fat magnums and they all shoot great and with a can. My favorite turned out ot be a 7MM SAUM pushing a 150 BT at 3,150.
Noice and recoil are no friend to mature adults.
Got a Limbsaver ordered and will be here next week.
Thanks

Recent Posts