Recoil

G
When I was a teen ager I worked at Lion Country in West Palm Beach Florida during the summer and my uncles and cousins worked there also and owned many many rifles with recoil and I shot them all and never had a problem.458's,416 Rigby.416 Taylor 460 Weatherby Mag and some I can't recall and never had a flinched,except the 460 maybe.375 H&H were candy.I played football as a defensive end and set a record on bench press.I'm not tall but wide in shoulders,narrow in the hips.Florida State gave me a letter of intent to sign but I wanted a full ride,even Alabama would not give a full ride so I didn't go to college.
Point is I have taken some hard kickers and never developed a flinch!Losing weight must have put me in a whole new place,plus I got a little older,will hit 71 soon.
good hearing protection takes away kick try plugs and muffs use both together

While that was a girl and some just take it better than others. Probably been shooting a while. I was 9 or 10 when I st shot a 264wm (no brake, mod70 pre'64) and didn't know what to expect? It became my favorite gun since junior high ('76) and still have my dad's pre64. I like shooting it more that the 270win (kicked way more).
I've got a Rem 721 .270, shoot factory CoreLocs. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs. barely feel recoil on it. Factory butt pad. However I have a super solid shoulder fit.
Mike

I've been running a Ross Brake. I believe I got it for $40. My dad installed it, and was very impressed with it. He started buying 10 or so at a time from them for his clients. I shot my elk last year in a hurry and forgot my ear pro. Surprised me after the shot that I wasn'r hurting. Sound seemed ro have gone to sides vs back. Won't make a habit of shooting without ear pro, But really like the brake and the price point has been fantastic.

I've been running a Ross Brake. I believe I got it for $40. My dad installed it, and was very impressed with it. He started buying 10 or so at a time from them for his clients. I shot my elk last year in a hurry and forgot my ear pro. Surprised me after the shot that I wasn'r hurting. Sound seemed ro have gone to sides vs back. Won't make a habit of shooting without ear pro, But really like the brake and the price point has been fantastic.
The adrenaline and excitement puts your body into a mode where you have auditory exclusion so you don't hear the sound as much or feel the recoil as much. I love good brakes, but am moving towards suppressors to shoot and hunt with to reduce the potential hearing damage and need for ear pro.

I agree that brakes help recoil. I have tried several. The area 419 Hellfire seemed to work the best at taming recoil. The Ti Hawkins turned to match my barrel looks the best. However, I have come to the point where I just hate brakes due to obnoxious blast they create. I've thought about some of the recoil pads, but they may introduce LOP issues. A suppressor is now the answer for me on my threaded barrels. It was a PITA to get it in my hands, but it makes shooting so much more enjoyable. My shoulder is a bit sore today from shooting yesterday. That 50 cal muzzleloader with a heavy dose of BH209 can move my 170 lb body around quite a bit.

I have an APA little bastard on my 338 rem ultramag......it definitely makes for a more pleasurable shooting experience. I could shoot it about 10 times off the bench in a session......now, with the brake, I shoot as much as I want. Does make the it louder....I think...

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?
Have you ever heard of the terminator? I was looking for a muzzle brake for myself, when I came across this. I was pretty impressed,they had different videos of different rifles, showing recoil before and after installation of the muzzle brake. There was a noticeable difference. I'm really thinking about getting one for myself. Kinda pricey, the one I need is around 220.00 look for Terminator Muzzle Brake and it will lead you to the site. Good luck

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
Suggestions?

I had heavier recoil on a hot day, 120℉+, overpressure on one round.
I stopped shooting, bought a brass rod to tap the brass out of my chamber.
I inspected my loads, they were all proper.
I now carry my magazines next to my body. Helps keep them at 96.3℉, my normal body temperature.
No more heavier recoil, or overpressure. I do not use heat to try and shoot further.

If your going for a budget tuner then I would definitely look at the one from Midway USA. It's the first one I tried and I think it was about $30. It only reduced the recoil by about 30%. If you're trying to find one that's for a pencil barrel I would say whetherby accubrake $60. It's just about the smallest diameter made and weighs almost nothing.
I run a precision armaments break and it pulls about 60% off of my 300 mag. It kicks no more than my 6.5 creedmoor now.
No matter what break you go with they're going to blow a bunch of sound back at you. If they're perpendicular it won't be near as bad as the ones that angle back.
Pair with a cheapo limbsaver butt pad and your golden. I stuck one of those on my 6.5 creedmoor for my boys and I swear that thing's got the same kick as my 22 now

Suggestions?
Boyd's makes a great adjustable stock with a 1" pad. I put my Ruger 300 win mag on it and made a world of difference. Cost is around $200.