RCBS chargemaster...

lightbulblightbulb
Just went to do some reloading today and my chargemaster no longer works. power comes on and thats it. I purchased less than 1yr ago. Problem now is I dont have my receipt because I sent it in for the rebate and did not think to make a copy of it. After doing some research I have found this to be a common problem with this equipment. It also somehow got past my eyes that this product is made in CHINA. I have sent a email to RCBS in hope this get's fixed but won't be crossing my fingers. I also found quite the interesting acronym for RCBS on other sites. Wish I would have made a copy of my receipt.

Just get their address, box it up and ship it to them with a note stating the problem, they will replace it.
If by chance you bounced it off the floor like I did, they will want $45.00 for replacement. RCBS has been great for years and stand behind their products.
For fun, do post what RCBS stands for on other sites.

Just get their address, box it up and ship it to them with a note stating the problem, they will replace it.
If by chance you bounced it off the floor like I did, they will want $45.00 for replacement. RCBS has been great for years and stand behind their products.
For fun, do post what RCBS stands for on other sites.
I'm curious as well.....Seems alot of people seem to not like RCBS dies, but I have nothing but praises for my RCBS equipment. Guess most people just don't know how to properly use their euipment? :rolleyes: :D

I'm curious as well.....Seems alot of people seem to not like RCBS dies, but I have nothing but praises for my RCBS equipment. Guess most people just don't know how to properly use their euipment? :rolleyes: :D

they make a pretty good die set, but most end users don't expect them to run with a Redding or a Forster from the start. I see little difference between the RCBS full length dies and the Reddings, but that's maybe just me as well. There is a difference in the seaters, and the Forster and Redding are much better. First thing you have to remember is that they are simply a tool, and there's nothing magic about them. I own several sets, and for what I bought them for they do a good job.

The Chargemaster; I'm not familure with that much, and will probably never own one. I do have another brand, and it works OK for anything I do. Yet rarely take it out of the box.
gary

Gary...

Interestingly, I use Redding sizing dies but only use the RCBS Competiton Front Load Micrometer bullet seater. IMO, it's superior to all others.

I've had two of them now over three years; I work them hard for long hours and they've never let me down and I can tell you I won't think twice about replacing them when the time comes.

Gary...

Interestingly, I use Redding sizing dies but only use the RCBS Competiton Front Load Micrometer bullet seater. IMO, it's superior to all others.

I have not used the latest and greatest competetion seater from RCBS (have heard they did some redesigning with it). But have played around with one of the older ones a buddy had. I didn't see where it was as good as the Forster seater (both were 6mm Remington). There were some things I liked about it, and other things I liked about the others. I change bullets a lot, and the Forster has less backlash built into it, and seemed to repeat a little better. I've also noticed this with .222 and .223 Remington rounds run thru the Forster seater. I found the Forster to be only slightly worse than the Wilson in an arbor press. But on the otherhand I have a custom built .222 inline seater that is better than the Wilson (not a whole but ever so slightly.
gary

Gary...

I'm the same way Sidecar. I've bought the extra inserts and seater stems for every bullet diameter from .17 to .338. You just switch them out. Takes about a minute and you have a bench rest seater for any caliber. I love the bullet drop window cut in the front of the die too.

Well around 2 weeks wait to here back from RCBS. I have to pay $45 to send it in. Yes thats cheaper than a new one but this product has now cost me almost $400 and lasted less than a year. Then the rebate and recipt I sent in over 5 months ago that I still have not recived. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Remember make copies of your recipts!!!

Gary...

I have multiple RCBS competition seaters, 2 Redding Competition seater, 1 Forster Competition seater and have noticed no difference in induced runout or variance in seating depth. So, the ease of the bullet insert window makes the RCBS the choice for me. Makes for much easier initial bullet seating because the bullets are in line and you don't have to pinch your fingers trying to keep the bullet straight with the others.

But to the OP's problem, I have had my RCBS for 5 or 6 years and wouldn't be without it. Never skipped a beat and always holds a calibration. If it quit and I had to reload, then I would buy another one while I waited for RCBS to fix the first

Well around 2 weeks wait to here back from RCBS. I have to pay $45 to send it in. Yes thats cheaper than a new one but this product has now cost me almost $400 and lasted less than a year. Then the rebate and recipt I sent in over 5 months ago that I still have not recived. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Remember make copies of your recipts!!!

I wanted to do some upgrades and somethings of that nature with some Pact stuff I have, and that charged me a onetime $20 fee plus postage. Had it been $45 I still wouldn't have bitched. On the otherhand I have a brand new Berkley fishing rod waiting for me to get it to the post office. The cork grips literally fell apart in my hand the first time I put a reel on it. Now they want me to send them a money order for $6 and pay for shipping on an $80 rod! I don't mind the $6, but they wouldn't let the dealer simply trade it out so I get hit for another five or six dollars. At the sametime I had an line guide get loose on a Scott G series fly rod that was given to me about eight years ago (used even then). I called them about getting the guide fixed and they sent me a shipping box with prepaid postage! Proshot did the samething with a couple cleaning rods I bought from them. They were damaged in shipment (bent), and they simply sent me new ones. Said they were going to send me a box for the bad ones, and never bothered. I later took them to work and straitened them to within a couple thousandths with a pencil torch. Now I only use Proshot cleaning rods. Guess why? My alltime favorite deal with a firearms company was a guy I know very well. He has Ron Pence cut three barrels for him and headspace them for two Remington 700 rifles. Barrel work was as good as I've ever seen anywhere. One barrel was in .308, and another was in 6BR. Don't remember what the third one was. The .308 started out shooting in the mid threes and just got better! The 6BR was really nice as well. It also started out shooting in the threes. While up there he stops in a Sinclair and buys the best Redding die sets for each round. Sinclair was very helpfull at getting everything setup. He goes home and starts sizing Norma 6BR brass (all there was at the time), and the necks were destroyed on each case. He brings about a half dozen cases to me and the dies and I could see that the I.D. of the sizer was not machined right. He drives another 120 miles upto Sinclair and exchanges the dies with them. Samething happens again. This time he calls Redding to see if they could help him solve the issue he was having. They were very rude to him and the guy just simply said he had a bad barrel chamber (he didn't). Another trip to Sinclair, and this time Sinclair calls Redding and was treated like a red headed step child. So they pull another die set off the shelf and set them up in their shop with some of their cases (they were pretty expensive cases back then), and promptly destroy a half dozen cases. Then pull another dies set off the shelf and repeat the samething. Fred Sinclair gets involved and calls somebody at Redding and the get into a very heated argument over the chamber. Finally Redding has him simply send all the damaged brass and all the bad dies back to them. Turns out that ever die they reamed in that lot was bad (how many I don't know) they send him another sizer die that was machined slightly different, and it worked OK. But the body ended up being about .0035" smaller in diameter while the necks were OK. He replaced the whole die set with a new Forster set with the micrometer head. Redding wouldn't take back the die set that at least worked, but over size the bodies. Moral of the story is that Redding lost a long time customer for life. Let alone how many gallons of gasoline and long distance phones calls were involved. (plus all the damaged brass)
gary

Had a keypad issue sent the whole thing back and received a new one. No issues since then I would consider this great service and will continue to buy their product.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.