RCBS Chargemaster

Oliveralan

So I'm sitting here. Just finished watching USA vs. Ghana and have 60 empty .308win cases to load for tomorrow's f-class match. Got me wondering, how accurately does the RCBS Chargemaster drop it's charges? Does anyone have any experience to share with it? How fast is it?

You should search it here, rather than have us begin all over.
Those in the know are not really compelled to assert their views over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and, yadda, yadda 141times(the return on a 3sec 'chargemaster' search).

Last edited:
I would hardly call myself in the know. However, I have used a chargemaster and now use a Lyman 1200 DPS 3. I like the lyman better because it is faster but the RCBS seems very accurate. Charge weights are exactly what I weigh on my Lee Safety Scale, if weighed correctly on the safety scale. It's charge weights are also the same weight that I get on the rice sample scale I use at work. so comparing four scales and all measuring the same weight down to the tenth of a grain says to me that it is pretty accurate. It will do better if you allow it 20-30 minutes to warm up, then calibrate it, and go. I would not be afraid to use it if it was me, but that is a judgement call for you. I assume if you compete, you compete to win, so you should do what you will be comfortable with. Personally if I were to compete, I would try it both ways, but I don't think you will be disappointed.

Actually that is true. My preference is the powder drop and a digital scale. I realize a good balance beem scale can be more accurate than an inexpensive digital, but the digital is faster in my opinion, and accurate enough for sub half inch groups in a decent rifle so thats good enough for me. May not be to others.

I really do like mine! When loaded right right my ES are around 8 FPS but on many occasions the are around 2-3. You just have to watch it though, once it gets the charge about all the way full it will go into trickle mode and sometimes it will trickle too much powder and after you hear the beep I have to let it sit and then re-read the weight. Sometimes its dead on and other times its .1 to .2 gr. over, never under(yet anyway) Personally feel it was some of the best money I have spent on reloading. Works great and cuts times!

You just have to watch it though, once it gets the charge about all the way full it will go into trickle mode and sometimes it will trickle too much powder and after you hear the beep I have to let it sit and then re-read the weight. Sometimes its dead on and other times its .1 to .2 gr. over,

My Lyman 1200 will do this exact thing too. I have found that some powders are much worse than others about it. I have also found the feed tube is threaded inside to the end, so it keeps pushing as it turns until the kernals fall. I have a piece of drinking straw cut about 3/4" long. I insert the straw into the feed tube and leave about 1/8th to 1/4" sticking out. This helps this condition alot for me. You might give it a try.

Jeff

Love it. Whether I'm reloading 9 for load development or 100 for hunting season, it takes the drudgery out of the task. I hate having to set and watch two lines line up.
Accuracy wise, I think it does pretty darn good. Most people don't even realize how small an amount, or object, they are asking their scales to repeatedly weigh accurate. It is accurate to +/- .1 (1/10th) of a grain. Not a pound, a grain. For comparison I just grabbed two normal business cards off my desk and weighed them. They weighed 14.8 and 15.2 grains.
Some folks complain about them fluctuating because the ceiling fan or air conditioning is on. They are sensitive, electronic devices. All scales fluctuate when proper conditions aren't met or taken into consideration. I've seen 70' truck scales fluctuate 40-60lbs when the wind gets to howling.
For $300.00 the ChargeMaster is a very good deal, for what it does.

I've extensively tested my Dillon Determinator scale and it measures trickles down to a 1/10th of a grain. For $150 that is a great scale. That is if money is an issue and you don't want to spring for the chargemaster.

Tom

I recieved my chargemaster in the mail last week . I had all of the thoughts that you are having now but I can honestly say that I love it . It is very fast and accurate . It use to take me for ever to try different loads now it's just a simple step . You want be sorry if you get the rcbs chargemaster , it is my favorite loading tool now :)

Good luck

bigbuck

I just ordered one from the Midsouth sale the other day, I can't wait to run it. It should speed up my bench time considerably.

I just ordered one from the Midsouth sale the other day, I can't wait to run it. It should speed up my bench time considerably.

+1 on the speed up . I'm electronics ignorant and i simply followed the instructions and had it calibrated and charging 300 wsm loads in no time . I would set the scale hit dispense and from that point on every time you set the empty powder pan back onto the scale it automatically starts dispensing so while it was doing it's thing i was seating boolits heee heee i had 45 rounds done up in a matter of minutes !

RCBS RULES

BigBuck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.