RCBS chargemaster...

I have two RCBS Charge Masters. One was 4 years old and RCBS replaced it with no questions. I bought the second one when I sent the first back. The second Charge Master had issues from the get go. I sent it back when the first replacement returned. Both are now working flawlessly. I am very peased with the Chargemaster and the RCBS service.
Nat Lambeth

Been a long winter....lol

RCBS also stands behind their die sets 100%. I broke an expander ball mandrel on a 308 Gold Medal die, called RCBS, spoke to a technician and they sent me out, express mail, a new assembly plus a spare, no charge and interestingly, at the time the die was out of stock at RCBS.

Thats what I call excellent service.

Re: RCBS Chargemaster Combo... Quality

Thanks for the additional feed back Bruce - and others. I now find myself loading for an AR15 and a 40 S&W. I have more than 1000 casings on the reloading bench for each cartridge. Although I've been hand loading for more than 40 years, I've never loaded in such large quantities for any rifle or pistol before. So I was looking for alternatives to speed things up, and this Thread helped me with the decision on the RCBS unit.

I do also have volumetric powder throwers. Will probably use those for the 40 S&W. But may want to measure by weight for the 5.56.

Last edited:
I load a bunch of handgun loads, mostly 44 magnum, 45 long colt and 45 ACP and I use a 'Little Dandy' powder measure (thrower) because the charge is much smaller than a bottleneck load.

I fill my Little Dandy and set it to repetitively throw the charge I want (usually takes about 10 consecutive throws to get it repeatedly at the same amount). After I get it throwing the correct charge weight, I just charge my cases in bulk, checking every 10th case on my beam scale (takes about 15 seconds). Keeping the Little Dandy filled to about the same level insures a close match on the powder throw.

I get a rack (usually 75 cases charged and look inside each one with a flashlight to check, again, the powder level prior to seating the pills and crimping the case mouth.

I've never used any electronic dispenser and don't plan on it. If I did get one, it would have to be an RCBS but it would have to be a gift from an admirer (wife).

I see no need for one.

I do the same with bottleneck brass. Just loaded 500 308's and 1000 223's exactly the same method.

I load a bunch of handgun loads, mostly 44 magnum, 45 long colt and 45 ACP and I use a 'Little Dandy' powder measure (thrower) because the charge is much smaller than a bottleneck load.

I fill my Little Dandy and set it to repetitively throw the charge I want (usually takes about 10 consecutive throws to get it repeatedly at the same amount). After I get it throwing the correct charge weight, I just charge my cases in bulk, checking every 10th case on my beam scale (takes about 15 seconds). Keeping the Little Dandy filled to about the same level insures a close match on the powder throw.

I get a rack (usually 75 cases charged and look inside each one with a flashlight to check, again, the powder level prior to seating the pills and crimping the case mouth.

I've never used any electronic dispenser and don't plan on it. If I did get one, it would have to be an RCBS but it would have to be a gift from an admirer (wife).

I see no need for one.

I do the same with bottleneck brass. Just loaded 500 308's and 1000 223's exactly the same method.

I do the same with my Lyman #55, but use a 4" clear drop tube. I actually use a tube made for .223 centerfires that has a machined bevel in the I.D. Some have this and some don't. I then put a line on the tube to see if I got a full charge or a double. The Lyman will throw ball powder in a two tenth grain window (+/- one tenth grain) about 85% of the time. Funny thing is that I throw ball powders a lot with my Harrell, but have not put any data together with it for pistol powders! It would be a little more consistent than the Lyman, but not by a huge amount. The Harrell will do an honest +/- .10 grain everytime I do a charge, and is probably a little better than that. I simply check every eighth or tenth charge on my Pact electronic scale, and a deviation is a rare thing. Like you said learn to be consistent.
gary

Nice to see the OP come back after a year, and clarify that it was his fault and not the RCBS. Integrity means a lot in my book. Thanks for all the honest posts. It makes decisions easier for guys researching an expensive purchase. By the way I have one and love it. And RCBS has sent me die parts for free that had issues. Good customer service will make a lifelong customer. And gun guys are about as loyal as they come.

I have a chargemaster 1500 combo that I aquired from my uncle when he quit reloading.
I know it worked because I remember watching him use it. When I got it I tried to use it and it would not recalibrate. I contacted RCBS and the sent me new weights, still get the error message, called again and they said they would replace the scale at a cost to me that wasnt far off a new one.
Needless to say I have not done anything with this unit.

I know it sat idle for a few years but does anyone have any ideas/suggestions to make this work? As far as I know the dispenser works but the scale will not calibrate. "ERROR"
Can this be salvaged or is it a throw away?

Not trying to hijack this thread.

on a side not all my dealings wih RCBS have always been positive and I continue to buy their products.

Thanks

Re: RCBS Chargemaster Combo... Quality Unit

You won't be disappointed. Look up how to cut a straw and add it to the dispenser and it will meter like a champ.
I can verify this modification. It has worked out great for me!

Seriously, all you need is a free McDonalds straw, a pair or scissors, and your done.

I have a chargemaster 1500 combo that I aquired from my uncle when he quit reloading.
I know it worked because I remember watching him use it. When I got it I tried to use it and it would not recalibrate. I contacted RCBS and the sent me new weights, still get the error message, called again and they said they would replace the scale at a cost to me that wasnt far off a new one.

I know it sat idle for a few years but does anyone have any ideas/suggestions to make this work? As far as I know the dispenser works but the scale will not calibrate. "ERROR"

on a side not all my dealings wih RCBS have always been positive and I continue to buy their products.

Thanks

First, I'd call them again. It seems like different techs often give different answers at many companies.

Second, if you have any electronics such as computers, radios and possibly even fluorescent lights near the scale it may mess it up - I've seen it. Also be sure it's level.

Dr Vette,
Thanks,
I will try to call again.
I thought it was level....
and no electronics around at the time.

Cheers,

Yes, I have the manual and had read and re-read several times with the same results.
My hunting / reloading partner has tried it as well with the "error" each time.

MB

Thanks
I had this problem. Found a granule of powder under the little black tray the pan sits on.
Tipped it out, problem fixed for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts