RCBS chargemaster...

I have multiple RCBS competition seaters, 2 Redding Competition seater, 1 Forster Competition seater and have noticed no difference in induced runout or variance in seating depth. So, the ease of the bullet insert window makes the RCBS the choice for me. Makes for much easier initial bullet seating because the bullets are in line and you don't have to pinch your fingers trying to keep the bullet straight with the others.

But to the OP's problem, I have had my RCBS for 5 or 6 years and wouldn't be without it. Never skipped a beat and always holds a calibration. If it quit and I had to reload, then I would buy another one while I waited for RCBS to fix the first
The only thing I can think of that would cause bullet seating variances would be the consistancy of each bullet's ogive is from batch to batch. So if you're using a comparator, then you shoulnd't notice any varience in tolerances. But the ogive could be higher or lower varying amongst different batches of bullets and the tip might not always be 100% shaped the same, which can also make your bullets seem to be seating inconsistantly.

I don't use a comparator, like I should. So I will probably be ordering one shortly.

The only thing I can think of that would cause bullet seating variances would be the consistancy of each bullet's ogive is from batch to batch. So if you're using a comparator, then you shoulnd't notice any varience in tolerances. But the ogive could be higher or lower varying amongst different batches of bullets and the tip might not always be 100% shaped the same, which can also make your bullets seem to be seating inconsistantly.

I don't use a comparator, like I should. So I will probably be ordering one shortly.

just by chance, there could be excessive clearence in the linkage that could also be causing this. Even flex in the treads on the die can cause a little bit (not much but still some). More than likely it's a compound error thing that is accumulative in error. A thousandth here and a thousandth there starts to add up after awhile.
gary

just by chance, there could be excessive clearence in the linkage that could also be causing this. Even flex in the treads on the die can cause a little bit (not much but still some). More than likely it's a compound error thing that is accumulative in error. A thousandth here and a thousandth there starts to add up after awhile.
gary

Gary, you also make an excellent point. Very well could be a combination of things.

I have not read through all the post on this thread but I have had nothing but great service from Rcbs.

My charge master went south. I called Rcbs and since I'm north of the border they said to save me shipping costs and delays with customs to smash my charge master with a hammer. Yes that's right. Take pictures and email them to them. At first I though ya sure guys lets see what we can get this Canadian to do but they were dead serious. I had a new one in about a week. No receipt and no fees whatsoever.

Not junk and hands down the best and most fun warranty on any product I have ever owned

I bought a set of .44 Mag dies back in October, and the expander die body had a huge chunk torn in it like it was smacked really hard on something, and these were brand new and had never been used. I called RCBS and they sent me a whole new die body for free and quickly. I was able to file down the old one and clean it up enough to use without any issues. When I called them I was just gonna let them know of the issue, and not for them to send me a new one, but they insisted on sending a new one anyway. LOL

I have not read through all the post on this thread but I have had nothing but great service from Rcbs.

My charge master went south. I called Rcbs and since I'm north of the border they said to save me shipping costs and delays with customs to smash my charge master with a hammer. Yes that's right. Take pictures and email them to them. At first I though ya sure guys lets see what we can get this Canadian to do but they were dead serious. I had a new one in about a week. No receipt and no fees whatsoever.

Not junk and hands down the best and most fun warranty on any product I have ever owned

WOW! But that beats you paying customs again
gary

Gary, you also make an excellent point. Very well could be a combination of things.

what I would do is to get my hands on a couple .0005" dial indicators, and a couple devices to hold them in place. Then start doing some heavy work while looking for flex. Also remember that a good rule of the thumb is that whatever error you see will usually come out double that in the end(or close to double). You maybe scared to death with what you find out. It took me forever to prove this out on one of my brother's presses that he was so dearly in love with. I rebuilt it for him, and he's even more dearly in love with it<g>! His dies alone were moving well over three thousandths under heavy pressure. His compound error came out close to .012", and how he ever got a good case I'll never understand. But he sized a lot of really long strait walled cases with it (like 50-110's)
gary

I bought a set of .44 Mag dies back in October, and the expander die body had a huge chunk torn in it like it was smacked really hard on something, and these were brand new and had never been used. I called RCBS and they sent me a whole new die body for free and quickly. I was able to file down the old one and clean it up enough to use without any issues. When I called them I was just gonna let them know of the issue, and not for them to send me a new one, but they insisted on sending a new one anyway. LOL

My all time favorite deal like that is with a Lo-Wall I've had for eons (actually lost it in the back row of the safe). I ordered in a new set of gloss bases and rings from Leupold, and they came with the wrong screws. Called them up and they sent me another set that were still not right. A third call got me some screws that were about a half inch too long. Kinda ****ed me off as I hate cutting off real small screws. So I sat the rifle back in the safe till I had the time to make new screws. Later I decided to call Burris to see if they had bases in stock. The lady I talked was very cordial and said that they didn't make them anymore, but she'd go ahead and check the wharehouse for me. They had one set that was uninventoried, and she just gave them to me! I insisted on paying her for them, and she wouldn't have it!! I'd have gladly payed her the $40 for them without the slightest whimper
gary

Well around 2 weeks wait to here back from RCBS. I have to pay $45 to send it in. Yes thats cheaper than a new one but this product has now cost me almost $400 and lasted less than a year. Then the rebate and recipt I sent in over 5 months ago that I still have not recived. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Remember make copies of your recipts!!!

Any update?

While you are waiting for an answer, I'll add that I love my Chargemaster and it has worked flawlessly for me for 4 years. I could not imagine going back to a balance beam for loading on a regular basis. If mine ever breaks, it will be quickly replaced by another.

Times two with 1000's of rounds loaded

Jeff

Call RCBS they have a excellent customer service even without a receipt.

I Have had my RCBS Chargemaster for 5 years with excellent results

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.