Ramshot Big Game - Magnum or Standard Primer

Roughrice

Hello guys.

I have never needed magnum primers for any load in any of my other rifles.

I bought a batch of primers online recently and always pick up as much as I can afford on that hazmat fee… as you all do… especially when they limit your cart!!

So, I bought some Big Game powder to maybe use in 7mm-08 since I don't have any on my shelf but see great comments about it.

In my readings, I see about a 50/50 on magnum vs standard primer usage with Big Game.

What are your thoughts through experience… not from readings?

Thanks ahead!

Yes Sir!
Actual results from development is what I'm looking for.
There seems to be some magnum and non-magnum primer use with this powder, in this caliber.
I have a couple of good loads for 7-08 but none with Big Game and have read increased velo using it.
Mine are loaded up with IMR4064, Varget, and H4350.

Yes Sir!
There seems to be some magnum and non-magnum primer use with this powder, in this caliber.
I have a couple of good loads for 7-08 but none with Big Game and have read increased velo using it.
I was happy with using IMR 4350 and 140 ballistic tips until I got a chronograph. Very disappointed with the slightly over 2600 fps so I bought the big game and am happy with the same accuracy as IMR 4350 but about 200 fps faster.

Yes Sir!
A friend of mine has used imr4064 for decades in his 7-08 on deer and elk out to 500 yards. Not sure which bullets he used?

Thank you guys.
I'm really asking if anyone has experience with magnum vs standard primers for use with Ramshot Big Game powder used specifically in 7mm-08 .

Big game 145lrx br2

Big game 120 tip br2

Big game 140 accubond wlrm

Big game 139lrx wlrm

You made me check my notes, all Winchester lrm shot extremely well, verified out to 500 yds. All once fired Winchester or Lapua brass, doesn't seem to make a difference for my rifle. Actually thinking about selling it for no good reason 🤔

Your loads using both primers with Big Game is similar to what I've read about others ... some with magnum and some without.

Thanks

Thank you guys.
I'm really asking if anyone has experience with magnum vs standard primers for use with Ramshot Big Game powder used specifically in 7mm-08 .
Hey, Buddy.
Just to add my .02. I have tried last fall after deer season to get a good load with it also, my experience with BG was this 140 gr BT in Win. Cases using in MY rifle with WLRM primers gave much better results than either fed 210, cci, or REM 9 1/2 primers just to let you know the charge just a shade over book max at 47.8 gr. It gives me a group of in the 7's at 100. No pressure signs with the mag primer at all. That's a 1985 edition Rem. 700 Mtn . Hope it helps. PS. I don't have a chronograph personally so I couldn't check the speed..

Recent Posts