Magnum primer vs. Standard???

I was
Considering trying federal large rifle primers in my 7 prc for s and g's I've got 18 ,000 of them but recently got 1200 lrmbr primer's (federal )and 400 Remington 9 1/2 's any thoughts on this

Just the opposite lol I use fed 215 in everything. I have a lot of mag cal
I suspect (don't forget the word 'suspect' because i haven't tested the idea) that with magnum cartridges you'd see magnum primers give up less in terms or accuracy for two reasons:

1. There's more case volume to spread the pressure of the primer 'blast' when fired, and;

2. You are igniting a much slower burning powder so you don't get that fast initial wave of pressure while the bullet is jumping to the lands.

Somebody smarter than I should test this.

I suspect (don't forget the word 'suspect' because i haven't tested the idea) that with magnum cartridges you'd see magnum primers give up less in terms or accuracy for two reasons:

1. There's more case volume to spread the pressure of the primer 'blast' when fired, and;

2. You are igniting a much slower burning powder so you don't get that fast initial wave of pressure while the bullet is jumping to the lands.

Somebody smarter than I should test this.
See post 13. There are posts on LRH as well. I switched from 215 to 210 on my 300WSM with better ES SD and accuracy. Switching primers is not an across the board decision, bullet weights and type plus powder type all come to play. Ha! And some don't play nice!!

I find it ironic that we can have such a variety of primers that people will make a chart of relative burn rate, but I'm lucky if I see even one make of primer on the shelf of my LGS. i don't have to worry about choosing between six brands of primer, i have to hope there's one brick of any brand available when I shop.

I started reloading with Rem primers while painting cave walls. Encouraged to switch to Federal moons ago and became primer snob like most. Started shooting Rem primers again about 18 months ago. Getting really good ES SD and accuracy. Plus "reasonable" (whatever that is anymore) price and seems to be available. Not one misfire. Using 9 1/2M for LR in .270 with great results. YMMV

Saving 215 for 300WM so just staying in game.

i have to hope there's one brick of any brand available when I shop.
Timing and luck are everything these days. When they are available on the shelf or online, they do not last, especially when one is unwilling to pay for the going price and additional shipping and hazmat costs.

1707657842319.png

I find it ironic that we can have such a variety of primers that people will make a chart of relative burn rate, but I'm lucky if I see even one make of primer on the shelf of my LGS. i don't have to worry about choosing between six brands of primer, i have to hope there's one brick of any brand available when I shop.
There are so many variables in load development. If you change one thing, it can make a material difference in the performance of load. We are obsessed with measuring performance in .1 MOA increments and single digit ES velocity. Tuning based on a combination of variables including primers is part of the process when we attempt to achieve the ultimate precision.

I wish we were in the times of plenty of available options and reasonable prices. Neither exists today. So we are forced to adapt and tune. This is not necessarily a bad thing for me. More trigger time is helping improve the biggest variable for me (my shooting ability).

Whenever there's more money, in the area, than large rifle primers, then those primers can't stay on a shelf at a store, simply because large rifle primers are just better than money, in a pocket these days.

More info:

I use Rem 7 1/2's for 6mm & 6.5 CM loads with ball powders with no problems at 20 F temps. Next - use reformed .260 Rem SRP brass for .243W loads. CCI 41's are in stock at LGS I use them with extruded powders up to 43 grains with no problems in 6mm & 6.5 CM loads.

Table 1 in pub.

Last edited: