.338 Standard magnum bolt face

Jordanv1

Looking at doing a project on a Stiller Tac 300 and want to do a 338 caliber for hunting/shooting steel. What caliber options would be best? 338 edge, 338 ultra? Action has Wyatt's entended box and I reload so ammo availablity isn't too much of an issue. Plan to shoot the 300 Berger or 300 class bullet.

338 edge +p by shaun with defensive edge will likely get you the best performance on that action. And if your Wyatts mag box is the 3.8" one, it would be better to get the 4" mag box and have the reciever opened up to accept it, the extra mag length will help.

338 edge +p is the most performance you will get on a magnum bolt face but it will be a single shot oal is over 4 inches. if mag feeding is important 33 nosler or 338 rum will work better

What's the benefit of the plus p if I run almost as much freebore on the 338 edge? Can I feed them at that length with freebore?

the +p is higher velocity at lower pressure disadvantage is length.
pushing a big 338 berger in the case to make it mag feed looses the advantage of the edge then you could do a long 338 rum and be close to the same. the berger is a long bullet close to 2 inches

What's the benefit of the plus p if I run almost as much freebore on the 338 edge? Can I feed them at that length with freebore?
I believe (I do not personally have one but just what I have read) that the +p chamber reduces pressure of a given charge, allowing you to use more propellant to reach the same pressure, in turn giving more velocity, similar (but different) to the Weatherby chambers, but I believe that the throat is stepped, so the lands don't fully engage the bullet for a certain distance. So comparing the edge to the edge +p, you will be able to get more velocity with the +p, with pressure, oal, and other components being the same aside from powder charge.

BUT, I may be wrong. I have no first hand experience here. Your best bet would be to contact shaun carlock, he is the 338 edge guru.

If you want to pay someone to build you a rifle, the sky is the limit. Shawn will build you an awesome rifle.

If you are looking to do the work yourself, there are some considerations. It is pretty straightforward to build a 338RUM on the action you reference. Get a Remage barrel from McGowen or a couple other sources, a go gauge, a Wyatts extended box, and put it together.

The Edge is a bit more complicated. I built mine on a Stiller Predator using a McGowen Remage barrel. First, you will need to extend the magazine feed cut in the bottom of the action by .2" or more. A proper gunsmith can do this with a mill. I did it with a Dremel and a lot of TLC and patience, until the Wyatt's box fit perfectly. Then, you need to file the side bolt stop back in order to allow the bolt to come back far enough to pick up the rear of to round.

At the end of the day, I was able to build a very nice 338 Edge from a Stiller Predator which is one of the most accurate rifles I own and took 3rd in a 2000 yard competition, and its first game was an elk at 730 yards. It gives up nothing on my full customs. But you have to trust your patience and ability to be handy with metalwork.

Well may just have to go 338 Norma then. I would probably lean towards the longer throated 338 rum if I do it on this action as I'd really like to use it for elk and larger game only and would need it to feed reliably. How's the brass situation on the 338 rum?Thanks for the input everyone!

ADG, Bertram brass, and Gunwerks all have brass for 338 RUM. but selling that action and getting a Lapua size action would be the way to go .
338 Norma imp 35 degree will be the best option. easier to mag feed even in a dbm
better brass lapua is coming
shorter/fatter powder column will burn better in 26 inch barrel
will match the 338 rum or standard edge for velocity
it would be a win win

Well may just have to go 338 Norma then. I would probably lean towards the longer throated 338 rum if I do it on this action as I'd really like to use it for elk and larger game only and would need it to feed reliably. How's the brass situation on the 338 rum?Thanks for the input everyone!
I have been buying Bertram brass for the 338 rum from graff and sons and it is tough brass. Nosler is also a good source for 338 rum brass. 338 rum is best bang for the buck in a repeater. I now have two. They give up nothing to an edge. I am running a 285 Hornady eldm with .829 G1 BC at 3040 with 100 grs of RL33, might just sell all of my Berger 300 grs.

Really like what I'm hearing on the RUM! Seems like just what I'm looking for. Optimally I move up to the lapua bolt face but I have this action already and will save money.

ADG, Bertram brass, and Gunwerks all have brass for 338 RUM. but selling that action and getting a Lapua size action would be the way to go .
338 Norma imp 35 degree will be the best option. easier to mag feed even in a dbm
better brass lapua is coming
shorter/fatter powder column will burn better in 26 inch barrel
will match the 338 rum or standard edge for velocity
it would be a win win

This just isn't repeated often enough. With the diameter of the Norma case being what it is you need to go with the Lapua sized action.

You might be able to get someone to build you one on a 700 or clone but to get that big of a case to function you're going to have to remove enough metal to significantly weaken the action begging for accuracy issues not to mention a catastrophic failure of the action at some point.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.