378 Bolt face options

Whoever told you the 338-378 wby is hard on barrels is wrong. I doubt through normal shooting you will wear one out if you take care of it. I have seven of them and my favorite one has over 1500 rounds through it with good accuracy. The improved 338-378 is hard to beat performance wise. The 338 Excalibur will fit on that bolt face and is about the most powder capacity you can get if you want the most velocity off that bolt face. The edge or 338-300 RUM you mentioned is a good choice for a standard mag bolt face but since you have a top action you don't want to go backward and lose up to 300 fps advantage the 338-378 wby variations can get you. Basically the 338's off the RUM case average about 2800 fps with a 300 grain bullet and with the imp 338-378 and excalibur you can easily hit 3100 fps and more with a 300 grain bullet. Quite a difference when your shooting long range. They are all accurate. The improved lapuas can get you well into the 2900's and will fit on your bolt face. My accuracy load in my favorite 338-378 wby with a 300 grain bullet gets 3064 fps out of a 28" barrel.

lightbulbTo the OP, believe me LTLR knows what he's talking about. lightbulb

I just want one!!!:)

Me too! :cool:

My vote goes to making it a 378 weatherby, I know you want a 338, but the amount of badassery that comes with a 378wby, I wouldnt be able to sleep tonight if I didnt recommend it. CE and a couple others make some high BC bullets,, it would be an elk destroyer.

after hitting an elk with a 338 high velocity, I agree it would be a destroyer. Not enough left to make sausage, lol. gun)

I was under the impression that the 378 and the lapua can interchange bolt faces. Is that the case or no? I'm looking at getting a action and bolt to make 338-378 and was told the lapua bolt face would work without any alterations. Just wanting some advice prior to buying. Thanks
Did anyone on this thread actually answer your question about bolt face, looks like everyone got side tracked into how good/bad a 378 is. ARE THE 378 AND LAPUA BOLT FACE THE SAME? I KNOW THEY ARE BOTH +-.585, BUT HOW MUCH ARE THEY DIFFERENT?

338 378 is the obvious choice if you pick a 338 cal in my opinion. Either that, or go with the 378 wby. I have some trigger time on the 378, and its an absolute beast on critters. I currently run a 338 rum, and its nasty on critters. All your options are even more so. Is recommend a decent amount of weight and a great muzzle brake no matter what you choose.