What 6.5 with magnum bolt face

[/QUOTE]I am having all sorts of trouble finding a new bolt for this gun.[/QUOTE]

OK, I hear the magnum-faced bolt from a 300 WSM. Why not try a 6.5 WSM?
Every one that I have heard about on this board has been a good shooter and not so finicky to load as a 6.5 WSSM.

I'm thinking of building a 6.5 WSM when I burn out the barrel of my
270 WSM. :D
Got my 150's up to 3155 fps. How long can this last?

JM .02

There are instances of 'smiths milling out a magnum bolt face then brazing a bushing in place for smaller headed cartridges. Works best with bolt faces such as a post '64 Win. 70 or Rem 700's. As there's only low pressure sideways from the case head to the bolt face, pressure's not an issue. And the case head bears against the bolt face with more pressure than the rim does sideways. It's easy to fit a replacement extractor, too.

I'd contact some 'smiths and find out if any has done this.

I am having all sorts of trouble finding a new bolt for this gun.[/QUOTE]

OK, I hear the magnum-faced bolt from a 300 WSM. Why not try a 6.5 WSM?
Every one that I have heard about on this board has been a good shooter and not so finicky to load as a 6.5 WSSM.

I'm thinking of building a 6.5 WSM when I burn out the barrel of my
270 WSM. :D
Got my 150's up to 3155 fps. How long can this last?

JM .02[/QUOTE]

I have not tried the 6.5 WSM, so I can't speek for it, but the 6.5 WSSM was probably the easiest round I have ever loaded for. Fed 210 primers, and Berger 140 VLD's. H4831.....pick your speed. I tried a few different powders after the H4831, but they were a waist of time...H4831 just flat out worked.

I picked the WSSM because of the BBL life issue....in comp the 6.5 WSM is very hard on tubes.....BUT.....This is not competition......it is hunting....so..bbl life may not be an issue for you. If it is not an issue, the added FPS the bigger WSM case gives you would be great for LRH!!!

Again, just my .02 worth

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.