Magnum primer vs. Standard???

With primers hard to locate, I was considering Hornaday Superperformance & Rem.91/2M in 6
5 Creedmoor. Somehow I found several hundred of those primers on my bench. Safety first! Large Rifle hard to find here in Erie, PA!
On the Hornady superformance, don't use them in gas operated guns such as AR style. They create back pressure and may push your primer out. I say this from experience,while doing a breakin on a new 7mm-08 barrel one primer pushed out and others showed sings of bulging. No harm to the gun. I contacted hornady and they explained they are not designed for gas operated firearms and are not recommended for use with a suppressor. Hornady customer service is excellent! They explained everything and explained they are designed for bolt or single shot. Otherwise I say superformance are some awesome rounds!
20231231_171200.jpg
20231231_171209.jpg

Ok I want to hear from those using standard large rifle primers in belted magnum cartridges and other large magnum cartridges.
What have you experienced??

Ok I want to hear from those using standard large rifle primers in belted magnum cartridges and other large magnum cartridges.

I was
Considering trying federal large rifle primers in my 7 prc for s and g's I've got 18 ,000 of them but recently got 1200 lrmbr primer's (federal )and 400 Remington 9 1/2 's any thoughts on this
My son is Lighting Off, just under 72 grains of, StaBall HD with, F-210 M's and with, 72.3 gr's ( was getting, Hot ) he got, 3,002 FPS behind, a 180 ELD-M out of, his 24 inch, 7 PRC, Proof barrel. He has since "Backed Off' to 71.8 grs and 2,980 FPS for, an accurate / safe, ( in HIS Rifle ), Sub 1/2 MOA Load.
I was surprised that, they worked that well with over, 70 grains of Powder !
Now, whether they will "Work" at 10* below Zero, in Idaho,.. Has YET to be,.."Seen"

Last edited:
I'm all in for your son's range report with that combination in the cold.

I've seen enough cold weather hang fires with ball powders that I don't run them in those conditions. I have very little experience with the newest Winchester versions so I am curious if they will do better. Fed 210M is a good hunting primer without a doubt, but time will tell with respect to these newest ball powders.

My son is Lighting Off, just under 72 grains of, StaBall HD with, F-210 M's and with, 72.3 gr's ( was getting, Hot ) he got, 3,002 FPS behind, a 180 ELD-M out of, his 24 inch, 7 PRC, Proof barrel. He has since "Backed Off' to 71.8 grs and 2,980 FPS for, an accurate / safe, ( in HIS Rifle ), Sub 1/2 MOA Load.
I was surprised that, they worked that well with over, 70 grains of Powder !
Now, whether they will "Work" at 10* below Zero, in Idaho,.. Has YET to be,.."Seen"
That's very interesting, I really will be following.
My heaviest powder charge is 81g of 7828 and 79g of Winchester wmr.

I started last week testing ginex primers in a 7 prc, bullet is a Berger 180 hybrid, 22" barrel, 65.7 grains of rl26. Using federal 215's, I averaged 2900 fps. With the ginex, same load with no crimp averaged 2934, with an 1/8 turn on a crimp die I averaged 2921 but with a better sd, 38 degree testing temperature, 1 moa group at 100 yards, .020 off the lands. Today I ran a seating depth test with the same load. At .045 off lands went 3/4 group for 4 shots, at .060 off lands went 1/2 moa, temperature was 35 degrees. Still testing

I started last week testing ginex primers in a 7 prc, bullet is a Berger 180 hybrid, 22" barrel, 65.7 grains of rl26. Using federal 215's, I averaged 2900 fps. With the ginex, same load with no crimp averaged 2934, with an 1/8 turn on a crimp die I averaged 2921 but with a better sd, 38 degree testing temperature, 1 moa group at 100 yards, .020 off the lands. Today I ran a seating depth test with the same load. At .045 off lands went 3/4 group for 4 shots, at .060 off lands went 1/2 moa, temperature was 35 degrees. Still testing
Very good information

Have you ever tried cci34?
I know that it would work good in my 7mag load but my 7STW might be a whole different thing

No I haven't, I have fed 215's, I just like dinking around trying different components with this cartridge in particular. I'm applying all the different techniques I've seen mentioned on this forum