Ramshot Big Game - Magnum or Standard Primer

Ammo was in an MTM box in the back seat of the truck and only taken out when shot.
Ammo was put in the box immediately after loading at 90 degrees when loaded.
So… it never really cooled or got hotter.

Oh… and my range is 1 mile away so I loaded and went shoot immediately afterwards.

Well. Here is the best with CCI 200.
Had 5 but fired a foul shot at a steel plate after a barrel swab to clean so there are 4 on paper.
Better… but still high sd/es numbers.
I know that's not super important but my 1st shot went in red circle and next 3 dropped a tad… maybe needed two foulers to settle.

It may be wanting a magnum primer but likely will not get it unless one of my buddies gives me a few to try.
See what Fed 210 primers look like. Also there of your ogive to rifle lands. Seating depth to more to the point. Running or changing your powder loads by .3grs going up of down. Watching for pressure signs. Maybe more reading on how to reload may help. I don't know what you do or don't know in reloading, nor equipment you have. You have been on the blog for a couple of years. That doesn't really mean much unless you have been reading on all the info that has come across the board.
It's almost sound like you have just started reloading. Nothing wrong with that. We all start somewhere, and some don't learn from others, and some do.
There is people on here that have a lot more expearance than me about reloading.

I am trying Remington 91/2LRM primers in my .270 Win for just testing based solely to see if any changes in velocity and accuracy. Why? Cause I have a lot of them and less of 210's. Remington 91/2LRM primers have the lowest brisance of the magnum primers so it may be like a bridge between the hottest LR and LRM primers. I ran a velocity ladder with them with 90HH's and topped 4K without signs of pressure with H4895 so maybe some benefit? Need to compare with 210's and some Win LR as well. Hitting range this week to test further. Will advise. Remington 91/2LRM primers seem to be readily available at "decent" prices below $100🤮.

I know you are looking for Big Game results but this may help as potential for your loads.

was hoping to see velocity increases with BG but it took max load at pressure to get 2818 which is barely more than my top end load of IMR 4064 with same bullet and primer with superb accuracy
Sometimes your better off sticking with what is working and not trying to chase the extra 50-100 fps. It's always a crap shoot. I tried staball 6.5 in my 7-08 before trying BG. My rifle hates staball but book velocity numbers lure you in.
I'd love to trade you staball for BG. 😉

I tried the Fed 210's first with .5 powder charges.
I will now split the 46.5 grain charge with a .2 charge to find possible improvement.
I already have a good 7mm-08 load and picked up 1# BG powder to soften the hazmat blow and give it a whirl.

Although all of my rifles in the stable are shooters, I always tinker with load development to get the most accuracy/speed/performance from a given cartridge...mostly experimenting with internet's latest and greatest fad loads and learning that most are only lateral adjustments at best (Like a different route to the the same place) and some with beneficial improvements.

With that said, I've culled every rifle and/or barrel that doesn't shoot very small groups.
Of the 12-14 different cartridges I load for, I've accumulated lots of variety of powder over the years.
I deal with some of the wonderless powders like my parents used to with the "you put it on your plate, now eat it" attitude and force it down tubes shooting steel plates just to get rid of it. 😂

I don't know everything and I certainly don't have too much pride to ask...(Farming tends to prove that to you!! LOL)
I am 60 now and after hunting and shooting all my life, I am still willing to learn new things and happy to have found this site of guys with common interests to exchange information because I know there are things that I may question and someone on here may have experienced it.

Back to the load room!

Thanks

Last edited:
I tried the Fed 210's first with .5 powder charges.
I will now split the 46.5 grain charge with a .2 charge to find possible improvement.
I already have a good 7mm-08 load and picked up 1# BG powder to soften the hazmat blow and give it a whirl.

Although all of my rifles in the stable are shooters, I always tinker with load development to get the most accuracy/speed/performance from a given cartridge...mostly experimenting with internet's latest and greatest fad loads and learning that most are only lateral adjustments at best (Like a different route the the same place) and some with beneficial improvements.

With that said, I've culled every rifle and/or barrel that doesn't shoot very small groups.
Of the 12-14 different cartridges I load for, I've accumulated lots of variety of powder over the years.
I deal with some of the wonderless powders like my parents used to with the "you put it on your plate, now eat it" attitude and force it down tubes shooting steel plates just to get rid of it. 😂

I don't know everything and I certainly don't have too much pride to ask...(Farming tends to prove that to you!! LOL)
I am 60 now and after hunting and shooting all my life, I am still willing to learn new things and happy to have found this site of guys with common interests to exchange information because I know there are things that I may question and someone on here may have experienced it.

Back to the load room!

Thanks
Well said!!

Luckily my 4 7mm-08's are 9-9.25 twists and are not picky with bullets from 120-162.
I'd. Say you are blessed, I made the dumbest mistake back in early 2000
I had a Stainless S synthetic M7 I got rid of shoulda kept that one and got rid of my Mtn rifle. It shot all bullets well but kicked like a mule, I'm starting to think my rifle just likes the heavier bullets more from 145 hot cor on up. I still have the 120's to try yet so I'm hopeful

I'd. Say you are blessed, I made the dumbest mistake back in early 2000
I had a Stainless S synthetic M7 I got rid of shoulda kept that one and got rid of my Mtn rifle. It shot all bullets well but kicked like a mule, I'm starting to think my rifle just likes the heavier bullets more from 145 hot cor on up. I still have the 120's to try yet so I'm hopeful
You are exactly right!
I was lucky!
3 - Rem factory barrels: a 20" chopped from 26" Rem Varmint, a full 26" Rem Varmint and a 24" sporter. All 9.25T
1 - Tikka with 19" Lilja 9T.
Neither is that picky on bullets... of course, some are a little better than others.
Powders used are IMR 4064, Varget and H4350.

FYI... 120's with Varget is great.

Just came from the reloading room and I had to edit my earlier post. My load with the 140 BT is 46.5 grains of BG at 2775 and I used WLR primers.
Supposedly the WLR are hotter than CCI 200's so it may be worth while to try some magnum primers if you can wrangle up a few.

Just came from the reloading room and I had to edit my earlier post. My load with the 140 BT is 46.5 grains of BG at 2775 and I used WLR primers.
Supposedly the WLR are hotter than CCI 200's so it may be worth while to try some magnum primers if you can wrangle up a few.
Well that's pretty much spot on charge weight with the better group of mine. 2727fps with 20"
I'm now becoming convinced that a hotter primer than I'm using would help complete a load.
I may have to get a couple hundred from one of my buddies.

thanks

Last edited:
Well that's pretty much spot on charge weight with the better group of mine. 2727fps with 20"
I'm now becoming convinced that a hotter primer than I'm using would help complete a load.
I may get to get a couple hundred from one of my buddies.

thanks
I just finished prepping some PPU brass for the 7-08 that I have been trying out and decided to try some BG with the 120 BT.
I was going to load some with magnum primers but I am getting very low on them so decided to try the WLR with this load also.
Good luck and keep us posted