Ramshot Big Game - Magnum or Standard Primer

Shot my original load today to compare.
This group was with V3 hanging off the suppressor and 2.5-10 scope.
Load picked up about 20 fps with heat.

106 degrees; wind 5-8 4:00
2780 fps
7 sd / 12 es
Slightly flattened primer as usual.
Zero bolt lift.

Clear winner.
I'm out with Big Game.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
This group was with V3 hanging off the suppressor.

2780 fps
7 sd / 12 es
Zero bolt lift.

Clear winner.
I'm out with Big Game.
That not bad in increase velocity, but what type of weather do you hunt in. I see you are down south. So your weather doesn't change that much. If you were going to the north weather can change as much as 130dr between high and low. That is from 110 to -20 in temp change.
I below a primer out of one of my rifles with only about a 50dr change. I load hot. I generally one use single base powders now. I do have some load that are double based powder, but were develop in hot weather. So the velocity slows up as the weather gets cooler. Your SD of 30fps varaition can be 8.5" at 1000yds, and 50fps can be 14" at 1000yds. Something to think about.

This group was with V3 hanging off the suppressor.

2780 fps
7 sd / 12 es
Zero bolt lift.

Clear winner.
I'm out with Big Game.
👇👇
Sometimes your better off sticking with what is working and not trying to chase the extra 50-100 fps. It's always a crap shoot
I don't blame you for shelving the BG. Maybe give it a go in one of your other 7-08 another day.

Yes sir.
I work on my loads to be shot in different temps . I definitely verify when that big swing in temp or altitude comes before hunting… unless a 50 degree swing comes overnight of course…but then again, I won't be shooting this 7mm-08 with 140 out passed 400 or so.
I just pulled 3 rounds out of my loaded ammo box to compare accuracy and velocity in 100+ temps to what I was working on with BG.
I'm not saying BG is not a good powder. I'm just setting it aside for now.

Yes sir.
I work on my loads to be shot in different temps . I definitely verify when that big swing in temp or altitude comes before hunting… unless a 50 degree swing comes overnight of course…but then again, I won't be shooting this 7mm-08 with 140 out passed 400 or so.
I just pulled 3 rounds out of my loaded ammo box to compare accuracy and velocity in 100+ temps to what I was working on with BG.
I'm not saying BG is not a good powder. I'm just setting it aside for now.
Just want make you aware of temp and changes. Nothing more.

Absolutely Sir!
No problem… I understand your explanation and willingness to help!
I am down here at sea level with super high temps and humidity. Tough to get a bullet to fly right in those environmental conditions and must be very careful with load development.
If I bring my load up there without verifying in those conditions, my dope is worthless precision wise… so I completely understand your explanation and thank you for that information.

Recent Posts