Question regarding light mtn rifles vs recoil

Wilderness Blacktail

im surrounded by the marble mtn, trinity alps ans
So for those of you who have spent time shootin light/UL rifles at range where did you find the limits in rifle weight/caliber/bullet grain/cartridge/speed/magnification for spotting your own hits at say 5-800yds?

I been shooting semi custom Tikka super light in 284 (same profile and 22" not fluted) 150gr at 2850fps and with the factory stock i could spot most every shot at 8X. Now ive replaced the stock with a carbon and need to drop to 4X to see the same and am getting closer at 6X.
I did change the scope so that could contribute.
Im a couple range sessions from either yanking the barrel and going back to 6.5mm or dropping bullet to 140 gr.

Time for a muzzle brake perhaps? Noisy, but very effective in reducing recoil. However, your thought about dropping the bullet weight another 10 grains has merit. That will likely reduce the recoil, perhaps enough to make the difference for you?

I never have been very good at spotting my hits, except with light recoiling varmint rifles.

Guy

Yeah i forgot to say that part, i cant do a brake because i hunt with my horses and i dont wanna risk blowing their hearing if we jump somethin while ridin.

Re the scope and stock i hear ya. I had switched scopes before but was from a 30mm to 30mm tube. This one is a 1" so that coulda made the diff. Stock fit too, i like this stock a lot so wont be switchin it out.

Im partialy askin to inform a possible future rifle. If this is slightly too ... what is a better combo.

Oh yeah i work like heck to be able to spot hits, im really happy with the progress ive made in that area from a few years back.

Ya, I figured you were avoiding the muzzle brake for a reason. Protecting the horses from that blast is a doggone good reason.

Dropping down to a 6.5 has few, if any, drawbacks. Still a very lethal and accurate cartridge, either the Creedmoor or the PRC version. I'm not sure the 6.5 PRC would kick any less than your 284 though. Hmm...

With no muzzle brake, you need some weight to control the recoil. And if you're going to drop to 140gr. bullets, you should just drop to a 6.5mm also since they have a better offer of 140 class bullets. If you're mostly hunting off horses, I wouldn't handicap your long range ability with a light rifle, light scope and light bullets anyways though. I don't know of a reliable enough 1" tube scope that I would trust to consistently dial back and forth from 800 yards either. I would put a 30mm, heavier scope on your current setup to try and weigh it down. Or on the next build, think about some additional weight in the overall package if you're not using a brake.

I have a fleet of custom Tikkas, same stocks, barrel lengths, contours scoped all the same . There is definitely a difference for spotting hits,depending on bullet weight and powder capacity. I can spot hits much easier with the 6 Creedmoor vs the 6.5. 338-06 off the bench, even with a brake is a challenge. I'm with Huntnful in this mentality camp of add some weight to these rifles. Scopes that are heavy always seem to balance my Tikkas to a comfortable carry weight.

My lightest rifle I own is about 8.5# scoped and suppressed. A 22" 6.5PRC/SI pushing a 140 Elite @ 3091fps. That is about as light as I want to go with a rifle with that kind of horsepower. I am building a lightish 22GT right now. Should come in about the same weight, maybe a couple oz lighter. But should produce far less recoil.

It is "snappy" for sure. Shots are able to be self-spotted however. But, you better have great shooting form. I am not a fan of "Ultralight" rifles. Too hard to shoot extremely well.

I misspoke on MV. 3091fps, not 3051fps. Scope is set on 15x. Hits were visible.

Last edited:
Without a brake, in field conditions, for me it's about the 10-11ish ft/lbs of recoil that spotting impacts gets super critical of shooting form. That's about a 6cm in a light-ish rifle, or about a 10lb 6.5cm. Adding weight to the rifle and/or shooting a lighter bullet makes a huge difference.

Ya, I figured you were avoiding the muzzle brake for a reason. Protecting the horses from that blast is a doggone good reason.

Dropping down to a 6.5 has few, if any, drawbacks. Still a very lethal and accurate cartridge, either the Creedmoor or the PRC version. I'm not sure the 6.5 PRC would kick any less than your 284 though. Hmm...
Yeah im with u there. I have a 6.5 PRac in ruger hawkeye hunter. I loved it but my nephew talked me outta it. It was way heavier and still rocked pretty solid. I think in a rig light as this thing id have even more muzzle rise than i do now.

WB…. Curious, what stock did you switch to.?
Stockys carbon hunter? Its the classic model. Sposed to weigh 21 oz. Its way lighter than the stock T3X stick and fits in my hand better when carryin it which was my gripe about the original with that square 2x4 feeling.

Recent Posts