Question regarding light mtn rifles vs recoil

Wilderness Blacktail,

I didn't read through the thread so I don't know what direction it's taken. But I would suggest brake. My rifle is 7 1/4 pounds firing 87 grains of powder propelling a 131 grain bullet to 3,650 feet per second. I must say I never shoot it without Electronic ear muffs, whether hunting or just shooting.

I can say that I see my 168 gr bullets hit fairly easily past 400 yds on an 8lb 7/08. That's a lot less powder than your .284 though. I usually shoot it off my pack with the sling wrapped around my forearm instead of a bipod. Have you tried that method? You can get a lot of forward pressure that helps keep the recoil in line without more weight. At least that's my take on it. Maybe it's just because it's an easier recoiling cartridge. If that doesn't help I'd stick with your power range and add weight vs a brake. It sounds like the horse does a lot of the hauling.

Wilderness Blacktail,

I didn't read through the thread so I don't know what direction it's taken. But I would suggest brake. My rifle is 7 1/4 pounds firing 87 grains of powder propelling a 131 grain bullet to 3,650 feet per second. I must say I never shoot it without Electronic ear muffs, whether hunting or just shooting.
How long is your barrel life!! 4 rounds?