Question regarding light mtn rifles vs recoil

I only had one chance on a bull off horses.Riding out dark timber after hiking it all day.I had many set ups.This one was my rifle in a zip up scabbard, I bailed but my dumb buddy didn't see elk and was walking and I was on a side hill in a cluster trying to get my 340 out.To slow and had to chase my horse down to get back going.Friend never saw the 20 head with nice bull 40 yrds.Wish I had my 44,woulda rolled him.Ive been shooting light braked rifles for years, got the scares to prove it.I can usually spot hit with my light 338NM,but not always.My 6 # 325 is sharper.Many times see all legs up in the air, thats why I roll with the 338.I always use my ear plugs on hoop.Even at 50 yrds on a 6x6 ,takes just a sec.In past I walked out 1/2 not hear anything.I want hear elk bugle in my old age.I was easy spotting hits with my 6#,6.5 Prc,last weekend out to 800.

Im really glad i posted this! Lotsa great points of view and applicable info.

Yeah this is a lightweight hunting rifle that is just as likely to be used at 30 yards as at 600. Im only concerned with spotting hits/misses on long shots where i can get prone or prone ish. Closer in my other eye catches the action and a long shot off sticks or whatever is just not as condusive to spotting impacts with a rig this light so ill just do my best.

I also only practice in the field, so all the shots im taking are shooting positions exactly like what ill build on the mtn. So none of these are perfect flat areas as theres just not much flat around here. I shoot at rocks or small chunks of wood and only ones that are vitals size and smaller. I prefer deer heart size. I also send at least one fast follow up for every shot taken. Im almost always alone so theres no spotter so as mentioned above, its my job to see the impact n make adjustments and put em down right now if need be. Ive come to all this from experience because i am haunted by the ones that got away.

With a bare rifle weight of 6.5-6.75 lbs i can see hits with bigger cartridges and my overall thot is thats where I need to be for the ridge to ridge shots and still be light n handy.
I think im yankin this barrel this weekend.

Yeah i forgot to say that part, i cant do a brake because i hunt with my horses and i dont wanna risk blowing their hearing if we jump somethin while ridin.

Re the scope and stock i hear ya. I had switched scopes before but was from a 30mm to 30mm tube. This one is a 1" so that coulda made the diff. Stock fit too, i like this stock a lot so wont be switchin it out.

Im partialy askin to inform a possible future rifle. If this is slightly too ... what is a better combo.

Oh yeah i work like heck to be able to spot hits, im really happy with the progress ive made in that area from a few years back.
Time for a suppressor?

Not allowed. 🤷‍♂️
Are you planning on shooting lead free bullets?
I've been using a 25-06 for blacktails for the last 8 years or so but might switch to a 6 creedmoor. The bad part they are limited to 600-700ish yards with lead free and don't do great in the wind.

Last edited:
Are you planning on shooting lead free bullets?
I've been using a 25-06 for blacktails for the last 8 years or so but might switch to a 6 creedmoor. The bad part they are limited to 600-700ish yards with lead free and don't do great in the wind.
Yep for the most part. In other areas perhaps not. Ive been shooting Badlands Bulldozer 2s in both the 284 and one 6.5 and also have some PVA cayugas for both calibers waitin their turn. As far as BC theyre game changers if terminal performance is there. Only 1 kill so far and not impressed but coulda been a 1 off situation.

What bullets have you been shooting in ur 25-06? I will very likely have a fast twist 25-06 or AI made this fall for this rifle.

I have a 6ARC on layaway ill be getting into loading for soon as well. Excited for that one out to 600 or so potentially.

24" 1-8 twist lilja. I'm shooting the 124g Hammer Hunters at about 3200 fps dead nuts.
Thats an awesome place to be! I shot the same bullet at 3180 from my 6.5PRC i had. It killed small and large animals extremely well. Loved that gun and would still have if my nephew hadnt wanted it soo bad.
He asked at just the right time as i was magnum poor at the time lol.

Yep for the most part. In other areas perhaps not. Ive been shooting Badlands Bulldozer 2s in both the 284 and one 6.5 and also have some PVA cayugas for both calibers waitin their turn. As far as BC theyre game changers if terminal performance is there. Only 1 kill so far and not impressed but coulda been a 1 off situation.

What bullets have you been shooting in ur 25-06? I will very likely have a fast twist 25-06 or AI made this fall for this rifle.

I have a 6ARC on layaway I'll be getting into loading for soon as well. Excited for that one out to 600 or so potentially.
I'm shooting a Barnes 100 ttsx but I'm going to switch because of inconsistent results on deer. I had a 1-7 twist barrel 25-06 done this spring but haven't finished load development yet. It looks like a 110 hammer hunter at 3250fps is what it will shoot.

I've only shot a few badlands in the fast twist 25-06 but I couldn't get good accuracy so I gave up.

I'm thinking of trying the new tipped 90 grain hammer bullet in one of my 6 creedmoor's. I'm thinking I can get it to 3300-3350fps. At 5000' elevation it should still have enough velocity to reliably open to 800 yards but the energy will be kinda low.

When i get another 25 cal ima try 110BD2s, 117? Cayugas first. I love hammers but the bc of em isnt ideal enough in windy canyons.

With the BD2s my 7mag liked em seated deep! 150 at 3.2col. My 6.5 likes 125s at mag length or longer 2.9 something and my 284 likes em long with 150s at 3.163 c.o.l.
I'm shooting a Barnes 100 ttsx but I'm going to switch because of inconsistent results on deer. I had a 1-7 twist barrel 25-06 done this spring but haven't finished load development yet. It looks like a 110 hammer hunter at 3250fps is what it will shoot.

I've only shot a few badlands in the fast twist 25-06 but I couldn't get good accuracy so I gave up.

I'm thinking of trying the new tipped 90 grain hammer bullet in one of my 6 creedmoor's. I'm thinking I can get it to 3300-3350fps. At 5000' elevation it should still have enough velocity to reliably open to 800 yards but the energy will be kinda lo

When i get another 25 cal ima try 110BD2s, 117? Cayugas first. I love hammers but the bc of em isnt ideal enough in windy canyons.

With the BD2s my 7mag liked em seated deep! 150 at 3.2col. My 6.5 likes 125s at mag length or longer 2.9 something and my 284 likes em long with 150s at 3.163 c.o.l.
Yeah hammers bc isn't great but they are so easy to load. I use Bergers for the long and windy shots.

The 110bd2s is what I couldn't get to shoot great. Maybe I should play with seating depth more.

Recent Posts