Easy question regarding fouling a barrel

Not new to shooting, but new to really working to dial in to longer ranges and handloading. I know i need to foul my barrel with a few shots before getting to excited about dailing in my scope etc.

I have a bunch of factory copper jacketed bullets that I really dont think I will ever use. Would it be ok to fire a few of these to foul my barrel so i dont have to use up my good laods?

Right now I am waiting on powder and bullets, so I will be using factory accubonds for bear season this spring. I know that the fowler shots could be used to determine velocity and such in my hand loads, but for now I am more interested in getting the factory bullets shooting well to get me by till the bullets get here.

Joe

I really see no reason not to. I put a new scope on a rifle this morning and I am going to use some cheap factory loads for initial sighting. I also use them to fowl a barrel. It sometimes seems that I need 2 or 3 shots of my good loads for things to settle down after using factory loads to fowl.

The only risk is some unlike copper alloys adhere to each other and become very stubborn to get out. You may not have this issue if only copper jacketed bullets are used, but I would not used any solid coppers and copper jacked mixed in my barrels. I have seen some pretty ill shooting rifles as a result of severe copper fouling following a day at the range with several varieties of bullets were shot and no cleaning between. So I guess I may be a little over kill but my standard practice is to clean after any bullet or powder change.

Jeff

The only risk is some unlike copper alloys adhere to each other and become very stubborn to get out. You may not have this issue if only copper jacketed bullets are used, but I would not used any solid coppers and copper jacked mixed in my barrels. I have seen some pretty ill shooting rifles as a result of severe copper fouling following a day at the range with several varieties of bullets were shot and no cleaning between. So I guess I may be a little over kill but my standard practice is to clean after any bullet or powder change.

Jeff

AGREED with above - I've been there done that - verified with bore scope. I no longer mix different bullets or powder between complete cleaning.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.