Fouling shots

Use the same bullet to foul with. I have used different different bullets with no negative results, but some say it can cause issues. I think it may depend on how clean your barrel is. If your down to bare metal vs knocking the carbon out.

For you guys that do fouling shots:

Do you use the same rounds to foul your barrel that you are going to shoot for score?

Or do you use any round available for fouling purposes?
I've done both. Using the same load to foul will tell you if the point of impact moves significantly on the first couple of shots. That's a good thing to know on a hunting rifle. "Most" of my rifles/loads move, but not all.

Other than that - I have a ton of unwanted bullets and powders laying around. I try to use them for fouling the bores. I have never noticed any ill effect by using a different powder for fouling the bore, and I do that all the time. Most of my fouling ammo is mid-velocity stuff so that I don't unnecessarily heat up the bore.

What is a good use for all those 1/2 cans of Enduron powders? - Fouling ammo!

I've done both. Using the same load to foul will tell you if the point of impact moves significantly on the first couple of shots. That's a good thing to know on a hunting rifle. "Most" of my rifles/loads move, but not all.

Other than that - I have a ton of unwanted bullets and powders laying around. I try to use them for fouling the bores. I have never noticed any ill effect by using a different powder for fouling the bore, and I do that all the time. Most of my fouling ammo is mid-velocity stuff so that I don't unnecessarily heat up the bore.

What is a good use for all those 1/2 cans of Enduron powders? - Fouling ammo!
Thanks

We usually use the same brass, primer, powder, bullet for a fouling shot. it is the cartridges that we loaded for load development. Call me crazy but I bought this barrel and it was advertised that you can clean you bore and then run some of this on a patch down the bore and then another clean patch to remove any residue. Your next shot will be like your last before cleaning without a "fouling shot". Witches Brew. Call me crazy but I tried it and it works, but I still use a foul shot for load development.

Attachments

• Witches Brew.jpg
    Witches Brew.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 71
We usually use the same brass, primer, powder, bullet for a fouling shot. it is the cartridges that we loaded for load development. Call me crazy but I bought this barrel and it was advertised that you can clean you bore and then run some of this on a patch down the bore and then another clean patch to remove any residue. Your next shot will be like your last before cleaning without a "fouling shot". Witches Brew. Call me crazy but I tried it and it works, but I still use a foul shot for load development.
Witch's brew. Go figure.

Been using Sharp Shoot R Wipe Out/Patch Out for while now. Jury's still out on its effectiveness on fouling for me.

Recent Posts