Fouling shots

Related question: How many fouling shots needed? At the range I might shoot one or two.

For my rifles….it depends upon which rifle. One of our .223's requires 3 fouling shots at a minimum to settle in. My .375 AI has never appeared to need any, but gets a couple …..just because! Other rifles have their own idiosyncrasies!

Summary: I assume that they will all shoot better with fouling shots….and are treated as such! 😉 memtb

Related question: How many fouling shots needed? At the range I might shoot one or two.

Although it varies with each rifle/load; I tend to shoot a 3-shot group with "fouling ammo" before settling in with tailored match/hunting ammo. This is on a freshly cleaned barrel.

Cleaned barrels had two oily patches run down the bore followed by two dry patches before being returned to the safe.

I have had impact shifts with both ways. 3 fouling shots with a different bullet, and then the first shot of the actual load, will also throw a flyer. And 3 fouling shots with the same bullet but different powder, and the first bullet from the actual load will be a flyer.

I'll still do it if I have extra weird test ammo around and stuff. But I know I should probably shoot the first shot of my actual load outside of the first group.

In my comp guns, I never fouled a barrel after cleaning it, it would screw things up. I started the next round with a squeaky clean barrel every time I started a new string, even during testing.
Years ago, when using premium button rifled Hart barrels, fouling them made things worse, my mentor always fouled his barrels before shooting for wind, it seemed to work for him, so I followed suit, but then during a match, I had no time for fouler or wind, so just commenced shooting so I wasn't DQ'd for time…shot way better than ANY previous time out, so stopped shooting fouled barrels from then on. Wind only, then commence.

Cheers.

In my comp guns, I never fouled a barrel after cleaning it, it would screw things up. I started the next round with a squeaky clean barrel every time I started a new string, even during testing.
Years ago, when using premium button rifled Hart barrels, fouling them made things worse, my mentor always fouled his barrels before shooting for wind, it seemed to work for him, so I followed suit, but then during a match, I had no time for fouler or wind, so just commenced shooting so I wasn't DQ'd for time…shot way better than ANY previous time out, so stopped shooting fouled barrels from then on. Wind only, then commence.

Cheers.
Interesting.

It depends on the rifle and its barrel, and its condition. But trying to answer a variable, for target shooting usually 2.
For a serious work rifle, and most all get tried for cold bore shot. I always shoot cold bore freshly cleaned and dirty ... I want to know where the first round is going to hit. I have a 50BMG that is always dead on 1st cold bore shot, clean or dirty it will hit a .5" square at 100 yds. Shoot the back of another. 510" cal bullet that didn't make it through the thick steel, punching on through. Somewhat dangerous activity, or just having fun with a 50BMG. A young woman asked if she could shoot the 50BMG, she had shot a 12 gauge before, concerned about the recoil , so I said "sure". She got down prone behind the gun, and followed instructions. I loaded the chamber. She slowly squeezed the trigger, I noticed her nail polish ...she was quite attractive, long brown hair, blue eyes concentrating on the reticle and a serious look... the 50BMG went boom...Then the concussion of the blast blew her long brown hair back like a hurricane wind ..she squealed with delight. She got back on the gun and looked into the scope...proclaiming, "I hit it the little black dot". The guys are like, "sure ya did", totally doubting her claim...until we looked at the target and she centered the 1/2" dot with the 50BMG...I gave her the target and the spent 50BMG brass case as a souvinor, for her first try at shooting a 50BMG.
So that's one reason why your gun should shoot good from a cold bore...ya never know when a young woman will step up and say. "Can I shoot it?" Ladies first!...

I really don't like pulling bullets on my test loads. If I find over pressure situations, I will go through the exercise. Otherwise, they become fouler loads. Factory loads will serve this process if I have them. I don't have enough evidence to determine if using the same load is better, but just do this as a habit. There are so many variables you can consider when setting up for a shoot or a hunt. OCD can drive you to do all sorts of things in the shooting/hunting passion. I like to keep it as simple as possible while keeping an open mind.

After cleaning, try short-stroking a patch soaked with Lock-Ease down your barrel. I've found that cold bore shots typically shoot with all the rest after doing this. If I don't do it, the cold bore shot will be around .25" higher and very slightly right. This is the first 3 out of a clean barrel on an LPR 6.5 SAUM....

tempImage9oieTZ.png

Last edited:
I had one rifle that was really bad after cleaning.It was off about 3" the first round after cleaning.It took two shots to get it back into the group.After that it was an accurate rifle,shoot under an inch.I always kept my barrels clean at that time and I thought it was just me until I left the barrel dirty and the problem went away.I missed a few deer with that rifle because I didn't realize I had that 3" issue with a clean barrel.Since that time,I've bought a number of rifles and took the time to do the shoot,clean,shoot clean,the first 20 shots.Those rifles will shot in the group,clean or dirty.Did the break in make the difference?I don't know,once it's done you can't undo and try the other way to compare,maybe they are just more accurate rifles.