Free Recoil on Light Rifle Affecting Accuracy?

Next time your at the range and have your rifle on the bipod and rear bag take 2 fingers and grip the top of the butt stock near the recoil pad. Twist slightly. Your trying to simulate the torque of the rifling twisting up the bullet. Look through the scope. You will see the crosshairs more horizontally. This is why you will see a lot of width in really light guns groups. You will shoot some good groups but that horizontal shot will always pop up. Mass is the only way to fix that. Sometimes it only takes a pound, it just depends on the cartridge. The ultralight rifle is a specialized tool for extreme hunts. 99% of guys are far better off with a more balanced rifle.

My Tikka T3 Lite shoots great without a brake (30-06 also) but it is a thumper on the shoulder. i love the rifle but getting up in age and although I don't mind the recoil, like most of us I prefer to shoot something lighter recoiling when just going out to have some fun. I never knew about Witt's clamp on brakes but you can bet I'll have one on my Tikka pretty soon.

For light rifles, I really like the Montana sling, it reminds me of the old Remington sling that came with every rifle, light, soft leather, simple, and easy to use quickly like the Remington sling. I still have a few of those old Remington slings to this day, real keepers if you can find one. Just my 0.02 Cheers

I went to the range today and was shooting 178 grain ELD-X and 180 SSTs and gripped the fore stock. It made a significant difference on muzzle jump and accuracy. I center punched steel at 200,300 and 500 off a front rest with a fore stock hold. I didn't use a rear rest. This is similar to my hunting scenario rest my stock on the window of my box blinds I'm pleased with the results.

Glad to hear you are making progress!

I have several Tikkas, and while their plastic stocks are better than some, I have found upgrading to something more rigid helps a lot.

Like @wasskeet mentioned, less drop at the toe helps send the recoil impulse straight back, as opposed to up and back.

Here is a good article on forend control;

Glad to hear you are making progress!

I have several Tikkas, and while their plastic stocks are better than some, I have found upgrading to something more rigid helps a lot.

Like @wasskeet mentioned, less drop at the toe helps send the recoil impulse straight back, as opposed to up and back.

Here is a good article on forend control;

Yep that article from Nathan is great. I haven't shot the Tikka .30-06 much since last year. It has dawned on me I had to hold the fore stock last year to get best results.

With the exception of rifles built for "benchrest" that have the flat-bottom forend and balance forward, I believe you will get best accuracy gripping the forend and pulling the rifle back into your shoulder while maintaining even contact wtih both front and rear bags. That is, sort of simulating how you would grip and shoulder the rifle in the field; but with the added stability of the two rests. The lighter the rifle, the more important the evenness and repeatability of the hold is to accuracy.

This is what has worked best for me with my X-Bolt 280 AI. It's a sub-MOA rifle off the bench with me behind it if I hold forearm down. Let it free recoil and the groups double at minimum with lots of muzzle rise.