Free Recoil on Light Rifle Affecting Accuracy?

Agreed. I am not a free recoiling shooter, unless its varmint calibers in heavy guns on a bench.
On high recoiling guns, for that to work I would think one needs a "proper" bag setup and MASS! That being said, I don't think free recoiling, high recoil, and light weight rifles go together. One thing for sure, practice is required with light weight guns. A prefect rest is also required as the slightest movement can effect the shot. I learned a lot about recoil control from big guns. I practice those control methods on medium recoiling guns to save money and my shoulder.

My Tikka T3x Superlite 30 06 is a thumper with 178 grain ELD-x handloads.

I shoot off a Caldwell Rock front rest and a rear bag.

I've found that Tikka can be tricky to shoot accurate. I don't have a flinch and follow through on the shot but man that muzzle jumps. I wonder if reducing that muzzle jump would improve accuracy.

I'm considering a Witt's clamp on brake or just holding the stock when shooting.

Anyone find allowing a light rifle to freely recoil off a front rest affect accuracy?
That's why I got rid of mine. I bought it for the girlfriend but after shooting it knew I'd never get her back to the range. I mainly shoot 375 H&H and 338 win mags and the super lite in 30-06 out kicked them all.

I put a Witt brake on my sporter 30-06 R700. It works nice, it has ports on top to keep the barrel down. Decent price too.
I keep a couple of fingers on top the scope for jump but I feel the answer is no with the jumping. It should be fine. I however never touch the barrel itself to hold it down so as not change the harmonics of the barrel. Just a thought. Good Muzzle break would help if you don't have one.

Agreed. I think there's a huge argument to be made for hunters to quit obsessing over working up loads at the bench to try to get consistent 1/2-3/4 MOA, settle for a 1moa load and use the extra components and time for field shooting practice. Most misses are made due to wind call or positional shooting errors.... Not a 1/2" vs 1" load at the bench.
I absolutely agree with you, every time I go to the range to practice above 98 % of the people shooting are doing so off a bench which may train you to do so but no place I shoot has benches, nowhere I hunt or shoot for fun, no military range I have ever shot at has benches because they don't teach you to shoot in field applications. I use a m-1, m-14 cotton sling on my hunting rifles and service rifles in highpower matches because they stay on your arm well and are easy to adjust. It is easy to shoot within a minute of angle with a sling after you get used to it. way more important to develop good marksmanship skills than to shoot miracle groups off the bench

I absolutely agree with you, every time I go to the range to practice above 98 % of the people shooting are doing so off a bench which may train you to do so but no place I shoot has benches, nowhere I hunt or shoot for fun, no military range I have ever shot at has benches because they don't teach you to shoot in field applications. I use a m-1, m-14 cotton sling on my hunting rifles and service rifles in highpower matches because they stay on your arm well and are easy to adjust. It is easy to shoot within a minute of angle with a sling after you get used to it. way more important to develop good marksmanship skills than to shoot miracle groups off the bench
also agree. There's lots of people I know who could absolutely trash me at bench shooting that I'd be more than confident I could outshoot offhand or off my elbows or, as often has happened hunting, leaning up against a gnarly old tree for support haha.

Big fan of single shot iron sighted 22lrs. It's what I REALLY learned to shoot on and served me so well. Old Cooey model 75, bolt action, and you had to pull the hammer back each time too. Everything you did with that gun had to be done very much on purpose. Will have to get one for my kids in a few years

I've found that Tikka can be tricky to shoot accurate. I don't have a flinch and follow through on the shot but man that muzzle jumps. I wonder if reducing that muzzle jump would improve accuracy.

I'm considering a Witt's clamp on brake or just holding the stock when shooting.

Anyone find allowing a light rifle to freely recoil off a front rest affect accuracy?
My son and I both have this exact rifle in 300 Winchester magnum. I can shoot one inch 100 yard groups with Barnes 165 TTSX BT bullets at
3000 fps off of sandbags. I do hold the stock when shooting.

Just a note on why it is hard to shoot light rifles. When you shoot, the rifle begins to recoil before the bullet is out of the barrel and due to less inertia the light rifle will move more than a heavy one. Also, the light barrel has some enhanced harmonics over that of a heavy barrel. Therefore, to shoot well with a light rifle requires the shooter to be much more consistent with the setup prior to the shot. For more info see Bryan Litz's new book: "Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting". Enjoy the process to repeatable long range shooting.

To answer your question, yes look into a Witt brake, or have it threaded and install some type of brake. 👍😎