Pulling Bullets and Reloading Live Rounds

rodneymoncrief

I have some loaded ammo that I want to pull bullets, dump powder, and reload but I would like to save the primers. Is there a need to resize or can I just pull bullets and reload? I have done this in the past, but I have a friend who also reloads, that said I need to resize before reloading after pulling bullets.

Hey Rodney, I have the luxury of having 2 sets of dies for all calibers, that being said I pull the bullet ,empty the primer catcher, pour the powder into plastic cup I use for reloading, I have one die setup to remove the primer and crimp 1/16th on the neck, mind u it will take some adjusting of decapping pin , but it wont take long, If u remove the pin and run ur brass in the die without a pin in it, it will put neck tension all the way to the shoulder of the case, so loosen the steel ring and adjust it down so your die will be longer and then adjust decapping pin just enough to knock reusable primer into ur empty primer catcher! Over the last 25 years I have pulled more than I like to admit. Hope this helps

If you're running light neck tension I wouldn't worry about it, I don't. I run about .002 neck tension. There should be enough elasticity in the brass to maintain, but if the brass is old and never annealed you'd probably be better off resizing.

Pull a bullet and measure compared to a resized case.

I am like ohio hunter I have very little neck tension, and no to not using case lube and case lube wont hurt ur primer unless excessive amount gets on it

Just remove the decapping stem from your sizing die and resize the neck of the case.

This ^^^^

I have done this a lot. I pull bullets all the time from live rounds. I do it the safe way, and use a collet puller. It allows me to use my reloading press to safely remove the bullets with controlled and smooth extraction (opposite of a hammer-type puller that uses inertia).

RCBS Collet Bullet Puller

Almost every reloading die I own has the decapping pins removed because I deprime my cases with universal decapping dies before I ever clean them, and NOT when I resize them.

Military rifle teams pulled thousands of bullets from Arsenal 30 caliber service and match ammo then seated commercial match bullets. Sometimes they would change the powder if heavier bullets were used. There was enough neck grip to hold bullets in place for rapid fire events. Even with commercial match bullets being .0005" smaller in diameter than Arsenal match bullets, no functioning problems.

Hunters have replaced service FMJ bullets with soft points in surplus ammo too.

All without any case resizing whatsoever.

I would like to pull bullets with my RCBS collet bullet puller, dump the powder, remove decapping pin from full length sizing die, spray with Hornady one shot lightly, resize leaving primers in place, and reload, if you guys think this technique will work. My concerns are damaging my primers and stretching out case length. Thanks so much for the helpful information.

Resizing cases makes them longer; more with full length but less witn neck only. Fired ones get longer when resized than those already sized but not fired. Precisely measure them before and after to see the difference.

I'd deprime the cases if you're using a spray lube. Primers are cheap considering the issues if one's shut down by case lube and you think it'll fire but it doesn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.