Pre-fit Barrel's

+1 for the Bighorn TL3 actions.

Wether you go with a prefit or barrel blank keep in mind there are many, many gunsmiths who will spin up a barrel for a TL3 or other prefit custom actions without needing the action in hand. I think I've had barrels from 5 different smiths at this point. The best thing about sending your blank to a Smith is you can have the chamber cut exactly to your liking. I've had varying headspace from different pre-fits as well as differing thread dimensions. Reputable prefit dealers are going to cut the threads about 5 thou undersized to try and avoid this which "may" create some feeding issues.

+1 for the Bighorn TL3 actions.

Wether you go with a prefit or barrel blank keep in mind there are many, many gunsmiths who will spin up a barrel for a TL3 or other prefit custom actions without needing the action in hand. I think I've had barrels from 5 different smiths at this point. The best thing about sending your blank to a Smith is you can have the chamber cut exactly to your liking. I've had varying headspace from different pre-fits as well as differing thread dimensions. Reputable prefit dealers are going to cut the threads about 5 thou undersized to try and avoid this which "may" create some feeding issues.

By cut the threads 5 thou undersized, does this cause it to be short chambered? How do you tell? Correct for this?

I am wanting to know what people's experience with Pre-fit Barrel's? I am looking to start purchasing Custom actions, Kelby, Stiller, etc. and build my own rifles instead of buying factory rifles. I have looked at preferred barrel blanks and others, just curious if others have went this route and what experience they have had.
I do around 6 a year for hunters up here proof shoulder fit and chambered on bighorn actions. and that way they can change Cal and barrels under 20 mins at home or at the range

Just had a 6 Creedmoor pre fit barrel made for my ruger American from Crown Ridge Barrel Works and it is doing very well. $425 for 24" sendero. Anthony does nice work for a good price. Not 100% sure but I think he uses Xcaliber blanks? Also has carbon fiber options I believe. I wouldn't hesitate to use a prefit!

My first was a carbon shoulder pre-fit by Proof in 6.5 PRC on a Tikka action. As accurate as any custom fit barrel I have owned. My second was a stainless steel barrel nut pre-fit by Preferred Barrel Blanks in 22 Creedmoor on a Savage action. Great accuracy, as well. My Chritmas present to myself will be another Proof carbon shoulder pre-fit in 300 WSM for my Tikka action.

I put a 7mm mag Criterion on a Remington action, making it a Remage. It shoots amazingly well. I have helped someone put a couple of similar setups together with a Criterion and they all shoot very well.
I too agree with jpd676 about a criterion on a Remington action going remage.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 134
I have put on 5 Xcaliber barrels 2 savage 2 on a tikka actions 1 on a Remington 700 in 22creed they all will shoot 1/2 or better groups at 200yds and I am not a gun smith if that's what you want go for it and have fun

I am glad to hear how great these shoot, I think from now on I am going this route for my own custom build. When you guys did the pre-fit on a custom action, did you put it in a McMillan or Manners stock of your choice? Curious if you went pillar or skim bed on the action to the stock?