Pre-fit Barrel's

Are you looking to go with shouldered prefit barrels or using a barrel nut. If you are looking at shouldered barrels there's a few actions that you can put the barrels on with just your hands and an Allen wrench. If you are planning on an action wrench and barrel vise I would recommend getting an action that it's easy to find barrels for.

It would be shoulder pre fits, it would come down with Kelby Atlas, Bighorn Origin actions, maybe Stiller.
I have a Kelbly Atlas Tactical and the PBB shouldered prefits are sub 1/2 MOA if I do my part. Did install and build completely myself. Here's the 308 I finished about 2 months ago. 18" barrel shooting 130 TTSX just under 3100 FPS. The Kelbly Atlas Tactical is one of the nicest actions I own.

Attachments

• 7807A48A-5D95-4846-BE59-0F5C133B6889.jpeg
    7807A48A-5D95-4846-BE59-0F5C133B6889.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
  • 1C95F880-E8FC-4125-99F1-3CC372FB5BC8.jpeg
    1C95F880-E8FC-4125-99F1-3CC372FB5BC8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Tons of options out there, depending on the action… I'm sending a Bartlein blank to Deep South tactical to spin up a prefit for my Terminus Zeus with Quick Change. Once I burn my 22/250 AI out on my TL3, I have a shouldered prefit chambered in 22 Creed ready to roll. It's a blast!

Here's my Zeus eagerly awaiting my barrel:
2CD3AD4E-26FB-4DD2-8F54-45F45495FABF.jpeg

Tons of options out there, depending on the action… I'm sending a Bartlein blank to Deep South tactical to spin up a prefit for my Terminus Zeus with Quick Change. Once I burn my 22/250 AI out on my TL3, I have a shouldered prefit chambered in 22 Creed ready to roll. It's a blast!

Here's my Zeus eagerly awaiting my barrel:
View attachment 313200
Those Terminus actions look very nice, one of those may be in my future as well.

I have a Kelbly Atlas Tactical and the PBB shouldered prefits are sub 1/2 MOA if I do my part. Did install and build completely myself. Here's the 308 I finished about 2 months ago. 18" barrel shooting 130 TTSX just under 3100 FPS. The Kelbly Atlas Tactical is one of the nicest actions I own.
Very nice looking rifle, crap now you have me wanting to start early. I have to wait until Christmas is done...

What stock did you get for that rifle?

They are great! had good luck with them on savage actions, just IMO, they work particularly well on savage actions because of the floating bolt head design. Other factory actions I've heard wont benefit quite as much because they really do need to be trued up, however, not from experience, but a really good quality custom action has very tight and consistent build specs and you can thread em on and off and achieve very good results so I've heard.

I've had .260 rem , 6.5 wsm , 7 wsm, 280ai from xcaliber and mcgowan and they all shoot 1/2" moa or better.

Have 5 prefits from PVA for my bighorn tl3s.... every one of them is easy on easy off, Easily sub 3/8" moa with most hovering in the .2s when I take my time.

I'm a fan of prefits...

Same here. Josh at PVA does great work. I have a couple TL3s and barrels just screw in and shoot. I am a huge fan of his work and prefits also.

Also a big fan of the Bighorn actions for many reasons but being able to get one action and easily change out bolt heads so that one set up is anything from a .223 to a .308/6.5 Creed to a short magnum gives it huge versatility.

They are great! had good luck with them on savage actions, just IMO, they work particularly well on savage actions because of the floating bolt head design. Other factory actions I've heard wont benefit quite as much because they really do need to be trued up, however, not from experience, but a really good quality custom action has very tight and consistent build specs and you can thread em on and off and achieve very good results so I've heard.

I've had .260 rem , 6.5 wsm , 7 wsm, 280ai from xcaliber and mcgowan and they all shoot 1/2" moa or better.
A prefit barrel with a barrel nut will work the same on most actions regardless of the floating bolt head. A shouldered barrel on a factory action needs final fitting usually by a Smith unless you have the proper DIY tools. A prefit shouldered barrel for a Kelbly, Defiance, and a handful of others will spin right on and torque down with no final fitting required.

I love my origins and I love my prefits. Great experiences with PVA and Criterion. I have one from preferred that shoots closer to ok, but not as great as the others. I shoot my heavier 7mm-08 barrel about 500 times a year, a few months before hunting season my #2 6.5 PRC barrel gets screwed on and zeroed for the hunt.

A prefit barrel with a barrel nut will work the same on most actions regardless of the floating bolt head. A shouldered barrel on a factory action needs final fitting usually by a Smith unless you have the proper DIY tools. A prefit shouldered barrel for a Kelbly, Defiance, and a handful of others will spin right on and torque down with no final fitting required.
Agreed! Today's after-market barrel nuts are not too shabby ...

.257 WBTY Savage 110 LA scoped  3 of 7.jpg