Pre-fit Savage barrel

I use Shilen,McGowen,and E.R.Shaw pre-fits on Savages all the time. They all shoot good with my hand loads,I don't shoot any factory ammo.
Currently I'm running a Shilen Select Match in 6.5 Creedmoor & 260 AI
A McGowen in 6.5-06,and E.R.Shaw's in 6.5 Creedmoor & 7mm-08.

The 6.5 CM's & 7mm-08 barrels are varmint contour,while the 6.5-06 & 260 AI barrels are a #5.5 contour

I'm just getting into the Savage pre-fit game, but I have two ER Shaw barrel and I'm very impressed with both.

One is on a mauser action that Shaw set up for me. 300wm, I have only been to the range one time and have not done any load work up.

This is 5 shots and the low shot I pulled or it would be even better.

2017-10-14 07.31.36.jpg

My ER Shaw pre-fit shot a little better. It is a $199.00 kit barrel...only 24" but just as above on break in day, no load work up...just grabbed a load out of nowhere.

264wm Savage magmun contour, blued...it was busy as hell at the range and I was trying to time my shots between my neighbors...30-06 on my right and 26 Nosler on my left. The flier to the left I seen the gun move from muzzle blast. The 26 Nosler could have done the same on the shot to the right I just didn't realize it happened like the other one did.

Any way the entire target is 5 shots with three known clean breaks measuring .345!

I did all the work on the Savage my self.

2017-10-16 05.51.28.jpg

Criterion may be made under the same roof as a Krieger, but totally different barrels with nothing in common.
Yep, many years ago they may have been a sister company but now they are not.
However, I have a 7mm RM and 6 BR from Criterion. The 7mm RM has over 1500 rounds shot and still a 5/8 MOA barrel. The 6BR is holding .3 moa in 600 yard competition.

Last edited:
I would look at bugholes.com They do Savage prefits with bartlein barrels and their bugnut system. With the bugnut system you can run a rem barrel profile on a Savage. That's what mine will wear when I finally upgrade. I believe they run $600

I doubt you'd notice the difference between a shilen or a McGowan. They're both good barrels and in my experience they're both easily capable of sub 1/2 MOA accuracy.

How about rifling? I was thinking 5 groove if I go McGowan or 4 groove ratchet if I go with a Shilen....

I've got a Shilen Select Match barrels chambered for 22-250 .250 tight-necked chamber. 1:8 twist & Ratchet rifling. This barrel shot well from day one. It shoots everything I've put thru it so far. Best consistent loads are with the Hornady 53 gr V-Max. So far it's shot almost as well with Hornady's 60 gr FBHP, 68 gr BTHP, 75 gr BTHP & 75 gr A-Max which they no longer manufacture.
I was afraid the 53 gr V-Max might blow up at maximum velocities with my 26 inch barrel.
Powders used have been Varget, CFE223, H380, H414, IMR 4350, H4350, Reloader15 & IMR 4064. I've given up using IMR 4350 & IMR 4064 only because they don't meter as well from my Ohaus Duo-Measure as Varget & H4350.
The factory Savage barrel was so inconsistent I almost gave up shooting. I wasn't sure if it was my 76 y/o eyes a bad barrel or my own lousy shooting.
I've gotten consistent 3 & 4 shot groups from .088 inches to .250 inches.
I blame my bad eyes for most of flyers since the image begins to fade when looking thru my scope more than 60 seconds..... sometimes less. I'm certain my barrel is a lot more capable than I am.

I've got a Shilen Select Match barrels chambered for 22-250 .250 tight-necked chamber. 1:8 twist & Ratchet rifling. This barrel shot well from day one. It shoots everything I've put thru it so far. Best consistent loads are with the Hornady 53 gr V-Max. So far it's shot almost as well with Hornady's 60 gr FBHP, 68 gr BTHP, 75 gr BTHP & 75 gr A-Max which they no longer manufacture.
I was afraid the 53 gr V-Max might blow up at maximum velocities with my 26 inch barrel.
Powders used have been Varget, CFE223, H380, H414, IMR 4350, H4350, Reloader15 & IMR 4064. I've given up using IMR 4350 & IMR 4064 only because they don't meter as well from my Ohaus Duo-Measure as Varget & H4350.
The factory Savage barrel was so inconsistent I almost gave up shooting. I wasn't sure if it was my 76 y/o eyes a bad barrel or my own lousy shooting.
I've gotten consistent 3 & 4 shot groups from .088 inches to .250 inches.
I blame my bad eyes for most of flyers since the image begins to fade when looking thru my scope more than 60 seconds..... sometimes less. I'm certain my barrel is a lot more capable than I am.
Wow! That is great. Sounds very encouraging. I didn't go "Select match", I opted just for "Match" as this isn't a squirrel gun or bench gun.

The difference between a "Match" & "Match Select" is very small. Someone like me may not consistently shoot good enough to notice a difference in group sizes. Shilen consistently makes excellent barrels & then selects only the very best for their "Match Select" barrels. I believe they select only the ones that are within .0001" (that's 1/10,000 of an inch or 1/40th the thickness of copy paper.)
For myself, I could easily afford the difference in price hoping I'm a better marksman than I am. I do OK, but I'm not consistent. I think most old-timers w/bad eyes are like this. I'm my own worst critic & never brag about my abilities. Keeping myself honest always makes me try harder. Not just at the bench, but also in all aspects of making my own loads. Even bullet seating pressure is a concern for me. I recently noticed a .001" difference in neck sized ID which wasn't lubricated with "Imperial Graphite" made a significant difference in bullet seating pressure when I don't lubricate the neck. I don't know if my ability to shot shoot small groups is good enough to notice a difference in accuracy or not, but I don't figure it hurts.

McGowen stainless vs Shilen stainless match. 26" Savage Varmint contour in 7mm mag. Have an opinion? They are both about the same price, but McGowen is having a sale right now. About $20 cheaper for the McGowen is all which is a little surprising to me, as there barrels seem riskier than a Shilen. Heard of good and bad McGowens, pretty much just good about Shilen.

My vote is Criterion. Here is 5 shots at 710 yards from my Criterion 24" light varmint in 22-250 with 8" twist.

3G7lToQ.jpg

Here's 4 shots at 830 yards from my 26" Criterion Varmint in 6.5x47

t9ZUos4.jpg

I went with the 4 groove ratchet rifling for ease of cleaning my barrel. It does seem to require less time cleaning than the original Savage barrel.

I did go with a Shilen 4 groove ratchet barrel starting the waiting game....

Well, my barrel came in. Guess what, it's got normal 6 groove rifling. Shilen has already sent a return shipping label and they are going to replace it with the 4 groove ratchet rifled that I ordered. I'm wondering if I should just keep this barrel? I'm sure it would be fine and I just wanted to try something new with the ratchet rifling. What do you guys think?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.