Pre-fit Barrel's

I have the Bighorn TL3. It has the small shank Savage thread that can be either shouldered, or used with a the Savage/nut Pre-fits. The TL3 has an integrated/machined recoil lug. The SL3 is the similar except it is machined to accept the Remington magazine box. I use the Criterion Savage nut Pre-fit. The three barrels I have acquired deliver exceptional accuracy and consistency. I like using the nut setting my head space to exactly match previous or other my other rifles(of the same cartridge) die/headspace dimensions. It takes me less then 20 minutes to install a barrel……. without the cost and wait time…

This is very good information, thank you!
BTW, I have a Zermatt TL3 SA, contemplating barrel options...

PVA did my shouldered prefits for my TL3s. Both very accurate. I like shouldered better than barrel nuts.

6.5 Creedmoor

IMG_1035(1).jpg

IMG_1035(11).jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

Last edited:
This is very good information, thank you! BTW, I have a Zermatt TL3 SA, contemplating barrel options...

Lots of good pre-fits available. Should you pull the trigger, take a look at Northland Shooters Supply..James was very helpful when I acquired my first pre-fit. His barrel/chambers are benchrest grade.

www.NorthlandShootersSupply.com [email protected] Phone: 763-682-4296

Big Horn TL3 and Origin both with Proof research pre-fits. Easy install, cheaper to no gunsmith fees, head spaced properly (did check), shoot amazing, and you can take them off and resell them without issue. So far I wouldn't change anything and will continue to buy pre-fits.
Just curious how you Checked headspace? I have a similar prefit
Thanks

I really like the idea of prefits. Just curious if you spend the 90$ on go and no go gauges for every caliber?
Thanks
Just a go gauge and yes, they are not caliber specific but are cartridge specific. For example any 308 family will use the same gauge. There is no need for no go IMO. I run the headspace to 1.5 thousands off the go gauge and call it good.

Resurrection time! Didn't want to start a new thread so bringing this one back to life for new ideas.
I want to do a shouldered prefit barrel for my Tikka CTR. Thought about a proof but dont want to have to open up the stock that much for a sendero contour(planning on using original CTR stock). Also even on sale price is a bit more than I would like. Wish Criterion made a prefit for Tikka that isn't a barrel nut. Called them to call me back to see if that may be changing. So…. That brings me to my current thought on ordering a Mcgowen shouldered prefit. Want to keep close to the CTR contour which I believe is around a medium to light Palma? Will have to get ahold of them to see what one they recommend. Planning on the barrel being a 6CM @ 22-24 inches in around a 1-7.5 twist for 95 TMKs. Researched a few others PVA, and carbon 6 but want to know your guys thoughts on my plan and or if you have a shoulder prefit from Mcgowen on a tikka? Thanks and have a great weekend👍👍

Resurrection time! Didn't want to start a new thread so bringing this one back to life for new ideas.
I want to do a shouldered prefit barrel for my Tikka CTR. Thought about a proof but dont want to have to open up the stock that much for a sendero contour(planning on using original CTR stock). Also even on sale price is a bit more than I would like. Wish Criterion made a prefit for Tikka that isn't a barrel nut. Called them to call me back to see if that may be changing. So…. That brings me to my current thought on ordering a Mcgowen shouldered prefit. Want to keep close to the CTR contour which I believe is around a medium to light Palma? Will have to get ahold of them to see what one they recommend. Planning on the barrel being a 6CM @ 22-24 inches in around a 1-7.5 twist for 95 TMKs. Researched a few others PVA, and carbon 6 but want to know your guys thoughts on my plan and or if you have a shoulder prefit from Mcgowen on a tikka? Thanks and have a great weekend👍👍
Check out preferred barrels!

I am wanting to know what people's experience with Pre-fit Barrel's? I am looking to start purchasing Custom actions, Kelby, Stiller, etc. and build my own rifles instead of buying factory rifles. I have looked at preferred barrel blanks and others, just curious if others have went this route and what experience they have had.
All my Proof prefits (9)shoot .3 moa or better. Torque them down to 85# and start shooting after go/no-go's. Defiance actions except for one Zeus action. Build a 7SAUM!!!!!

I'm on my third prefit barrel (one barrel nut, two shouldered) and it's definitely the way to go. Very easy to assemble and plenty of great options out there. Currently using two Bighorn TL3s and a Terminus Zeus with quick change tenon. They all shoot great!

22-250 AI TL3
887FCE7A-DD10-48E3-A2FC-A5B4D289EBA8.jpeg

22 Creed TL3
F80362E3-FA9F-474D-B512-137DC8C5B67A.jpeg

6 Creed Zeus
A975FEB5-167F-4AE0-9E3A-FC7C9A041122.jpeg