Pre-fit Savage barrel

Nearly 3 years ago I purchased one of Shilen's Match Select 4 groove barrels with Ratchet Rifling & a .250 tight necked chamber in 22-250.
This barrel shoots GREAT!
When I do my part, I've gotten a few 4 shot groups under .200 inches & one under .150". Personally, I believe this barrel is capable of better groups than I am.
I'm 77 years old & shoot only bench rest. My eyes ain't as great as they used to be & my vision fades if I try to focus more that a couple of minutes. I shoot from a bench that isn't very solid & it causes the crosshairs to shift around on the bullseyes as much as an inch or more. It's frustrating trying to get the sight picture to stay where I want it.
I have no doubt in my mind, someone with younger eyes could shoot my Savage LRPV BR with this Shilen barrel could consistently shoot 5-shot groups under.
I was so depressed from my groups with the Savage barrel, I almost gave up shooting.
Compared to the stock Savage barrel it shrunk my group average size to a 1/3 the size I got from it. Now I look forward to a day at the range.
You won't be sorry with this Shilen barrel. Mine shot better from day one over the Savage barrel.

Spencer

OK, so I guess I will just proceed with the 6 groove barrel I received and see how she shoots. I'm going to send all of my parts out to get nitrided, but first got to fire a couple rounds through the tube as well as turn down the brake so it matches the barrel.

OK, so I guess I will just proceed with the 6 groove barrel I received and see how she shoots. I'm going to send all of my parts out to get nitrided, but first got to fire a couple rounds through the tube as well as turn down the brake so it matches the barrel.
I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the nitrided barrel. A few years ago I considered nitriding my barrel when it was new. Mostly because I wanted to cut down on barrel erosion. I decided against it, only because I didn't want to wait for any extended time to get it back.
I finally decided to shoot slowly "2-3 minutes between shots depending in how warm the absent temperature was. To date I've put 1100 rounds thru my barrel & it still shoots great! I suspect this barrel will last until I can't shoot anymore. All I need now is a bench rest that isn't wobbly. I think that'd help my groups some.

I haven't shot the rifle yet. The barrel is on the action and the brake is almost fitted. It's a little under timed still. After hearing some horror stories, I'm reconsidering the nitride.

I read on this site...a guys had his done and it never shot right afterwards...I'd be a little spooked doing it my self.

I haven't shot the rifle yet. The barrel is on the action and the brake is almost fitted. It's a little under timed still. After hearing some horror stories, I'm reconsidering the nitride.

A couple of the places I looked into were expensive if only one barrel was treated & considerably less per barrel for more than one. All without a warranty & the warranty from Shilen would no longer be valid. That's what changed my mind on nitriding. It may be cheaper now. I don't remember the names of the two places I contacted, but I found them thru a Goggle search.
I suggest checking into it thoroughly. It's been a few years since I looked into it. Sometimes prices come down over time, but don't count on it.
Barrel longevity was the only reason I considered it. I can't remember if stainless steel barrels could be treated or not. Ask a lot of questions no matter how trivial via Email so would have documented replies for future reference.
If I'm recalling correctly, there was another treatment available other than nitriding, but I think it was very expensive. Don't depend on my memory.

Yeah, I'm considering just having the action parkerized and leaving the barrel alone. I'm starting to think I will be lucky if I get to shoot enough to burn it out....

Check out this web site. http://barrelcool.com
There's another place that manufactures a similar device. I plan on buying one of them before weather warms up enough to begin shooting. I only shoot Bench Rest, which can be hard on throat erosion if you get impatient & shoot sooner than 2-3 minutes between shots. Patience pays off.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.