Best Savage Pre-Fit/Pre-Chambered Barrel

CB11WYO

Hey guys looking for some first-hand experience here. Got a buddy who's set on the Pre-Fit route for his Savage, just wondering what the best maker/source would be to use.

He'll be looking at a 22-250 chamber, Varmint contour, 1:9 twist, 26" stainless.

Where'd you all get yours?
What'd you pay for it?
Was it worth it? (does it shoot worth a darn...)

He's working on a budget ($300-$400)... What say ya'll??

Thanks!

-Clint

My newest prefit is a Criterion from Krieger, it is there buttonrifle barrel. I ordered it from Jim Briggs. It is a 30" stainless steel bull barrel, in .308. I shoot it in 1000 yard F/Class. Good barrel.

My newest prefit is a Criterion from Krieger, it is there buttonrifle barrel. I ordered it from Jim Briggs. It is a 30" stainless steel bull barrel, in .308. I shoot it in 1000 yard F/Class. Good barrel.

I have a 280 Criterion light varmint that shoots 1/4" with 180s.

I also have a 308 bull that I'm still breaking in. The same barrel won a national comp of some sort. Criterion is a sister company to Kreiger.

I've had a couple McGowens that shot great. I had a Douglas in 22-250 ai that I can't complain about. I just ordered a Criterion 7rm that I'm looking forward to trying out. The finish is amazing. The criterion came from Northland Shooting Supply, it was in stock and to my door in a week.

+1 for PacNor. I have a 7mag Ruger they re-barreled for me a few years ago that shoots very well, and am currently awaiting delivery of a pre-fit for a Savage I am building myself. They have a wide list of options for contour, twist rate, fluting, etc. My pending barrel is will be threaded for a brake and fluted with their "micro-flute" pattern, yet didn't require a second mortgage. Price list is right on the website for whatever you wish to choose.

I went thru 1200+ rounds on my Shilen 6.5-284 before accuracy went downhill, pretty much normal for that caliber. Ordered a pre fit PacNor, same caliber, same dimensions. It shot terrible, despite many load changes. Sent it back, and they returned it, saying there was nothing wrong with the barrel. I was PO'd and sold it with 325 rounds thru it. No more PacNor for me. The Shilen pre fit shot great.

I went thru 1200+ rounds on my Shilen 6.5-284 before accuracy went downhill, pretty much normal for that caliber. Ordered a pre fit PacNor, same caliber, same dimensions. It shot terrible, despite many load changes. Sent it back, and they returned it, saying there was nothing wrong with the barrel. I was PO'd and sold it with 325 rounds thru it. No more PacNor for me. The Shilen pre fit shot great.

Unfortunately, I have seen a few negative comments concerning PacNor barrels before. They are from my state and would love to use their barrels, but I just cannot get around some of the comments like this I have seen. Have never owned one so have no personal experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.