Savage pre fit chamber issue.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Andy grubb, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Andy grubb

Andy grubb Active Member

So I just purchased a Savage pre fit barrel from a reputable manufacturer from a supplier I will not disclose at this time. Upon headspacing this barrel I noticed some things didn't really seem to add up. This barrel is supposed to be chambered 300 wm and is marked such. Look at the cast I took of the chamber compared to a sized piece of brass. Is it just me or does the cast I took look as though this barrel is chambered in 300 weatherby. KIMG0152.JPG

2. Gregg C

Gregg C Well-Known Member

No expert, but that dang shore looks like a double radius neck ., If nothing else the cast is LONG compared the case. Good catch- that might have been ugly ! What prompted the cast? Intuition?

Barrelnut likes this.
  3. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

That looks Weatherby to me also. 300 Weatherby has a long neck like that. 300 Win is know for it's rather short neck.

jasonco and J E Custom like this.
  4. Andy grubb

Andy grubb Active Member

I did the cast after using my oal gauge to try and measure throat length and getting a measurement of over 4 inches.

5. can1010

can1010 Well-Known Member

looks like time to give them a call definitely not a win mag.
    nice job on the chamber cast.
    what did you use a fast set epoxy?

6. Reload10

Reload10 Well-Known Member

Nice catch. What did you use to cast it?

7. Andy grubb

Andy grubb Active Member

I used candle wax to cast the chamber. Pours easily and once it cools it pops out easily.