Pre fit Barrels?

I hear Fred does pretty good work. I am glad to hear he cut you a nice chamber. I however, bought mine over the internet straight from a certain big name barrel maker. I was told later when I had it re-chambered to AI that the original chamber job was pretty sorry. It all boils down to who cut the chamber. And btw...i did finally get that barrel in it's original config to bughole, but I have never had to work so hard to get it there before. After the re-chamber, I was able to kick out 4 different loads that would all bughole no problem. The **** thing still fouled fast, and was a PIA to get clean.

I can tell you for **** sure that I will research the bloody **** out of the next barrel purchase! I will want some reassurances that the chamber will be cut dead nuts on, and the bore really will be of Super Select Match status, as compared to the crap that I have had to put up with. As for douglass barrels, well perhaps I need to consider them! They can't possibly be any worse than what I have put up with for the last 2600 rounds or so!

Have a good one,
Gary

I have purchased just one Savage pre-fit - a SS 1" x 26" chambered by the barrel manufacturer in 6.5-284. It has never shot well. I returned it and PN said nothing wrong. But it does not shoot nearly as well as my previous Douglas chambered by Fred Moreo. After 350 rounds, I gave up and lost around $400. I agree with the others, buy a good blank and have your local smith set it up.

kind of interesting info seeming to pop up here and there concerning Tim Gardner and his Douglas barrels. Seems that he's really begining to make some first rate barrels. At one benchrest shoot awhile back there were over double the Douglas barrels in the equipment list compaired to the rest of the pack (1000 yards meet). I rather certain this may be causing a Malox moment in some other shops
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.