Poll- Why are you hoarding ammo?

So, what are the real reasons for all the stockpiling?

• Take on Gub'ment

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Gives me sense of purpose

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Going to find me a bell tower

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The "O" word

Votes: 49 28.0%
  • Satisfies strange sexual urges

Votes: 23 13.1%
  • Kind of like the 401K I don't have, the price can only go up right?

Votes: 34 19.4%
  • Compensating for something

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 45 25.7%

• Total voters
Thank you BB...that is the hardest I have laughed this week. Almost as good as the spin rate/velocity decrease post, which is my favorite post on this whole site.

I believe to live in Missoula that you need to maintain an attitude and social views like his or hers in order to not be considered an outsider. He created this poll just to get a rise out of people. This poll oozes with an elitist undertone.

I believe to live in Missoula that you need to maintain an attitude and social views like his or hers in order to not be considered an outsider. He created this poll just to get a rise out of people. This poll oozes with an elitist undertone.

No kidding. If we weren't so stupid, we would agree with him. He is obviously far more socially advanced than the right wing neadrethals. We will just have to try and keep up. Maybe next time he posts, if he would type slower we could understand him better.

Steve

Whats the matter speckled carp slayer,having trouble finding preloaded ammo at walmart?

Not really, I haven't been looking. I did attempt to find some primers and I was laughed out of a couple of stores. Ironically the people who are stockpiling it will be the ones who prevent the bulk of us from getting any and I think that's a little counter-productive for maintaining the popularity of shooting. I have heard that people are buying stuff by the pallet and then gouging others reselling it.

I do find it funny that so many people responded to the poll, it was a joke. I don't care what your reasons are, I just want some primers. I can see hedging your bets against rising costs of consumable items- makes sense to a point but I seriously hope that some of these jerkoffs with warehouses full of stuff that I can't buy get stuck sitting on it forever- it would serve them right.

I have heard that people are buying stuff by the pallet and then gouging others reselling it.

Unfortunately your right. One look at gunbroker says it all. The shame of it all is some people are willing to pay these prices and that just makes the flames go higher.

Not really, I haven't been looking. I did attempt to find some primers and I was laughed out of a couple of stores. Ironically the people who are stockpiling it will be the ones who prevent the bulk of us from getting any and I think that's a little counter-productive for maintaining the popularity of shooting. I have heard that people are buying stuff by the pallet and then gouging others reselling it.

I do find it funny that so many people responded to the poll, it was a joke. I don't care what your reasons are, I just want some primers. I can see hedging your bets against rising costs of consumable items- makes sense to a point but I seriously hope that some of these jerkoffs with warehouses full of stuff that I can't buy get stuck sitting on it forever- it would serve them right.

I travel all over the midwest doing sales calls for my company. just last week i found a gun store call Benton sporting goods just out side of Benton Tenn. they have every primer including bench rest. they also have bunches of bullets. and just about any powder that you could thing of do here you go if you need something call them up and have it shipped to you.

, I just want some primers.

An explanation from Sinclair Int'l ...

Primer Availability

We have had a lot of concerned customers calling to ask about primer availability. Actually, our lines have been flooded with calls regarding the availability of primers as well as the availability of other components. The easiest and quickest way to check on availability is through our new website, whether you plan on phoning an order in, ordering off the web, or using some other means. The following is our view on the current primer situation. Basically, there has been a two-pronged drain on primer supplies for the reloading market.

The first driving force has been the huge demand for loaded ammunition through 2008 and continuing into 2009. The large primer manufacturers like ATK (which would include Federal and CCI), Winchester, and Remington are directing the majority of their primers into loaded ammunition. Ammunition sales are going through the roof as individuals stock up because of political concerns. The huge consumer demand for ammo is in addition to the demand from law enforcement agencies and our military to re-supply their own inventories. I know that smaller ammunition manufacturers have been impacted drastically by the primer shortage since their demands are higher than normal for primers that they have to obtain through Federal, CCI, Winchester, Remington, etc. Many of these smaller manufacturers have had to go to other sources to get quality primers. Because of this situation, some of them cannot keep up with their own ammunition production. Unfortunately, these smaller ammo makers can't control their own destiny since they don't have the capacity or tooling to make primers.

I mentioned that there were two factors impacting primer availability; the first factor is creating the second one. Since ammo demand has consumed more of the primer supply than normal, the quantity of primers on the shelf has declined at the box stores, the reloading companies (like Sinclair), and the smaller gun shops. With the fast communication via the internet, the word spreads quickly and the result has been consumers stockpiling and hoarding primers. Individuals are buying and keeping more primers in their own personal inventories and this has prevented some reloaders from having any primers at all. We normally see people buying 1,000 or maybe 5,000 primers at a time, now we are seeing customers buying 25,000 at a time.

The manufacturers are trying to react as best as they can, but their primary driving force is to keep a steady supply of primers going to the ammunition plants because they generate more revenue through this output than they do through the reloading market. A guy from CCI called the other day to order some items from us for his own reloading, and he reported that CCI has been running 24/7 and is still falling behind. They are adding two machines to their line to increase production (I don't know what percentage gain this will give them). Federal told us a couple of weeks ago to not be surprised if we don't see many primers from them until the end of 2009.

This is what we know as of today. Our current situation at Sinclair is that we are out of primers but are expecting some Wolf primers of all types sometime in June. We get a few Winchester primers every once and awhile but it might only be 30K to 50K at a time.

Eventually everyone will have enough stockpiled, manufacturers should catch up with ammo runs, and the supply on the shelves will hopefully return. This happened in throughout 1994, just not to this scale.
Best Regards,

Bill

Me and the GF bought 1000 mag rifle primers today,my guy wont let you buy any more,prevents assholes from buying him out for resale like they did a couple months ago.He got 1.2 million primers yesterday and a million a week ago,the is no shortage of primers or most powders in my neck of the woods.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.